Found yolk in the coop

SportyDeluxe

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2022
This is the second time I have found what looks like yolk on floor of the coop. My hen is just over a year old and stopped laying about two weeks ago. since then we have found yolk two times but it was once last week and again today. She has been checked to see if she was egg bound and all is good. She is still eating and acting normal and will still go in the coop to lay but doesn't. We did add a new coop with chicks a few weeks ago and thought maybe she was a bit stressed but she really doesn't seem bothered by them and they are in a sperate area from her. Not sure what I need to do for her at this point since I am only about 6 months owning chickens.

It could be that she is laying eggs with a thin shell or a shell-less egg, and they are being broken and eaten. Do you feed layer feed and provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? She may be stressed, but hard to know. Can you check on her more often to see if she is entering the coop and nest box, and what time of day she lays? Usually hens will enter their nest box and spend a little time in their, and if you check once and hour, you may be able to catch her and see her egg. Is she your only hen?

It could be that she is laying eggs with a thin shell or a shell-less egg, and they are being broken and eaten. Do you feed layer feed and provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container for extra calcium? She may be stressed, but hard to know. Can you check on her more often to see if she is entering the coop and nest box, and what time of day she lays? Usually hens will enter their nest box and spend a little time in their, and if you check once and hour, you may be able to catch her and see her egg. Is she your only hen?
Yes on the feed and the crushed oyster shells. No we have two other hens that are not having any issues with laying eggs. I have been watching her pretty closely and she does go in the coop like she is going to lay an egg but does not. It has been hot here and also she is the roo's favorite and we noticed she had been getting new feathers in, so figured maybe her body was focused on the new feathers, but then she had the two incident with the yolk on the coop floor in the morning. So, we are not really sure what to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom