Foundation help

I also have that coop (please see avatar photo!), I agree that a concrete stepping stone at each corner is perfectly adequate. My girls like to dig under the body of the coop to take dust baths -- or to intentionally hide and worry me!

I have six hens in mine and I built my own run (not seen in this photo). But, mostly my ladies free range during the day.

This coop has proven to be a rock star when it comes to sturdiness. Half a tree fell on it during Iowa's famous derecho wind storm last summer. It dented the roof a bit, but the coop held up fine.

One issue I did discover is that if you live in very flat, very windy northern Iowa, it is possible (like during the derecho) for the wind to cause the coop to tip toward the heavy side with the nest boxes. I suspect this won't happen for 99 percent of the people who buy one. Fortunately, there is a second coop and seriously sturdy run adjacent to this coop, and I was able to get the OverEZ (okay, I'm sure that NOT what they meant when they named it) upright again with no damage to coop or girls.

To prevent that from ever happening again, I lined the "lighter" side with a row of concrete stepping stones underneath the roosts inside. And, I added some broken concrete sidewalk pieces left over from a friend's reconstruction project and set those on the frame under the OverEZ to balance out the weight.

I bought this one second hand, and the original owners had attached what appear to be wire refrigerator shelves over the outside of the windows to prevent smaller predators (here, that would be minks which have killed some of my birds) from getting through. I added some hardware cloth in addition because I am paranoid now about predators.

But overall, this is a great coop, and I think your girls will enjoy it.
Thanks for the info!! It does gets windy here but hopefully not windy enough to knock over a coop. I’m debating on whether to get the run they sell or not. My girls will be in the run when I’m not home so I want to make sure I get something decent.

I chose to put my run on top of concrete blocks that were lain around the perimeter of the run. From there, I could fill the run floor with dirt and sand.
A roof would be a good idea to keep the run from getting muddy.
Thanks! Did you put anything underneath the dirt and sand?

That coop is not large....

Can you buy a shed from lowes instead and add ventilation and roost bars?
I referred to it as “large” because they sell three sizes.

I only plan on having 4 chickens (that’s all my township will allow). You don’t think this will be big enough for 4 hens?

Back
Top Bottom