Four 7 Wk Old Chicks + Cold Nights

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Are our four 7 wk old Chicks okay to go outside completely? They are bonded to a 14 wk old chick so she should be able to keep them warm, right?
The chick coop is big enough for them all.

For the next couple days, it'll be in the low 40s and high 30s F.
It shouldn't be too cold for them right?

I'm only asking as my mother wants me to keep them in longer.
They're starting to stink it up and I'm sure its time to put them out.

Here's a picture from when I stuck them out during the day last week in the chick coop.
Its bigger than it looks in the photo.
01.jpg
02.jpg

I did the same thing with my ~5 week old chicks. We are in TN and it is supposed to be in the 30's at night. The run they are in has walls and I (without realizing it) positioned the coop so the wind isn't blowing in.
I also put a heat lamp out there. They seem to be doing fine.

Are you able to close them in at night or are they fully exposed?

I’ve had some of mine out at 5 weeks with those temps with no heat lamp. They had no problems. Im too paranoid to put heat in my coop and no electric outside. as long as they have a dry coop The with stay together when sleeping to keep themselves warm. Their feathers are also insulation and they should be fully feathered at 7 weeks

Yes, nighttime temps.
I was only asking because my parents keep trying prevent me from putting them outside.

Interesting that your Parents want them in. They are CUTE! They're fully feathered so a heat lamp is not needed but if you do add one, make sure it's secure and no possible way for a fire to start. They will keep each other warm or you could add a "huddle box".
Looking at the picture, do they have protection from the weather? Assuming they have a coop (enclosed pen) & the picture showing them in the run section?

Interesting that your Parents want them in. They are CUTE! They're fully feathered so a heat lamp is not needed but if you do add one, make sure it's secure and no possible way for a fire to start. They will keep each other warm or you could add a "huddle box".
Looking at the picture, do they have protection from the weather? Assuming they have a coop (enclosed pen) & the picture showing them in the run section?
It's too small for a heat lamp, its only big enough to house the chicks.
And Pebbles(Bigger chick) has her tail sticking inside the coop.
The chick coop is a triangle coop with a small run.

Back
Top Bottom