Four day old chick with bumblefoot

akitafriendakita

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
I picked a chick today locally, one has what appears to be a very small case of bumblefoot. The chick is a silkie, the feet are incredibly tiny. I'm looking for ideas on how to wrap it because vet tape cannot get a grip around the chicks waxy tiny leg. The chick is acting healthy, and eating and drinking normally currently.

The current plan is epsom salt soak, drying the foot, Neosporin w/ no painkiller, gauze with drawing salve on it and some way to wrap all of that because vet tape is not working. I am hoping that the drawing salve will just pull the whole thing out on its own because the foot is too small for me to cut.

The infection is located near the back of the foot right under the ankle or where the foot bends, I've tried to wrap it half a dozen times today but no idea how to make anything work. The best I've gotten is just sticking drawing salve to gauze and sticking it to the bump but it falls off easily, all wraps just unravel instantly due to the size of the chicks leg.

Here's an image:

Thank you, I'll grab some tomorrow morning when a store opens. Hopefully, the chick will be fine tonight but I'm going to try sticking gauze together with cut bandaids to hold out tonight at least.

Back
Top Bottom