four days in a row from first to shell less egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feike, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Feike

Feike Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    one of my RiR finally started laying.....from a small hard shell egg every day (4days now) to a shell less egg, weird I thought, this is my first of 9 chickens 5-6 months old and is laying but the eggs are getting worse....I hope it's the hen just trying to get used to laying eggs, since they free range have a mix of scratch, pellets, oyster shell and grit....I have no clue what's going on

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Most on here offer these separately, so they can take what they want, and offer scratch only in small amounts as a treat. Most scratch mixes are low protein and not nutritionally complete, no vitamins and minerals, etc.

I hope she's just doing the odd things they do when starting to lay, and will straighten out in a month or so.

3. Feike

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    so what is the ideal combination of food for free range chickens?
    So I should offer the different food except for grit seperately?

4. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I too have 9 hens, and my first one to lay was one of my RIR. Here's a generic rundown of how things have played out with all of them.

first egg
    skip a day
    second egg
    skipped a couple days
    good eggs for about 10 days with a skip in there
    then a couple more hens started laying
    found another shell-less egg
    more hens started laying
    found good eggs, and 2 shell-less eggs on the coop floor
    then 2 good eggs
    AND TODAY.....I'VE BEEN TREATED TO (7) GOOD EGGS.

Now, my events above are brief and not 100% accurate as far as "day to day", but I think you get the jist of it.

Several posters on here have said it takes a good while to get new laying pullets into a solid egglaying mode, so I'm just taking the good with the bad and going with the flow.

I wouldn't worry a single bit!!

5. Feike

Aug 8, 2011
    Lander, Wyoming
    thank you so much....

6. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I leave them layer 24/7. I have grit and oyster shell out 24/7 (unless it sneaks up "empty" on me). They often spill the shell because I don't have an extra hanging feeder, but they will still eat it off the ground. The scratch......they only get once a day for a treat, then they get other treats as available, I.E. food scraps. I also keep the eggshells when I use eggs, and crush them and feed them back along with the oyster shell. On a side note, I think I will make another feeder for the oyster shell out of an empty water jug like I did for the little one's water. They were knocking over the chick waterer I had out for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by