four hens and Roo!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethanyko, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bethanyko

bethanyko New Egg

Jan 24, 2011
    I have 4 hens that live by themselves and a rooster that lives with my goat. originally i didn't put them together because in the past when i had chickens the rooster tore them up. The rooster i have now is pretty friendly and the four hens are laying eggs. I would like to raise chicks by spring and am wondering the best way to introduce them? The hens are about 1 1/2 years old. Also would it possibly make the rooster mean and is it a bad idea since i only have four hens?

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    As with any introductions of chickens its gonna be rough.
    The pecking order has to be reset and the top hen will attack the roo.They will settle down after a few days to a week.

3. KazAnder Farms

KazAnder Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Machias, WA
    I usually introduce chickens that are outside of the flock at night while the rest of the flock is sleeping. 1 roo to i think 7 hens would be the maximum ratio if you're looking for fertility. 1 to 4 would be perfect. currently we have 2 roos and 8 hens and they are working out fine. The only issue would be if you have say 1 cochin and the rest are a lighter breed, the cochin hen would most likely get more attention because they don't move quite as fast. but this is assuming your roo is active (sometimes they don't have as much interest) In that case its pretty easy to find another rooster.

Are you trying to breed a specific breed or the barnyard classic? (one of my favorites)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by