Four hours, three stores, two counties

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Oct 11, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's what we've been doing today, looking for pine shavings. Everybody's sold out! My coop is so nasty and turning the shavings and adding DE only goes so far.
    Where have all the pine shavings gone???? [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Umm...I bought 5 bags this week [​IMG]

3. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    co-op?

4. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I get mine straight from a wood working factory. He is happy for me to take it away for free.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Co-op is closed on Sunday, not that it matters. Our co-op doesn't sell shavings.
    No wood working factories around here.
    Atwoods said they may have some next week. Asked the manager at walmart for some. He said "sure" and went into their stock room. Came back with a tiny little bale like you'd buy for a hamster cage. He probably doesn't know why I walked away laughing. [​IMG]

6. VTGIRL

VTGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Vermont
    Wow. thank goodness my father in law has a sawmill [​IMG]

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I went to the feed store on Sat. and they said they were sold out of the shavings I purchase ( very large pcs.) said the mill was closed for a few weeks???? Had to purchase what I call saw-dust!! I cleaned out the coop and added DE and the new stuff but am not happy with it.. I will get some good shavings and add it in as soon as possible...

8. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy large bales of Aspen shavings at TSC. Never had a problem getting it. Petsmart also carries the large bales at a slightly higher price, and so do some of the smaller pet shops (at an even higher price). Walmart doesn't carry the aspen shavings here.

I quit using pine after reading here that the aromatic oils it gives off can cause respiratory problems in chickens. I use the recycled paper bedding in the nest boxes. It's soft and they don't eat it.

Just my humble opinion.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've used pine for a year and a half now with absolutely no respiratory problems. It's my understanding that you only want to avoid cedar? [​IMG]

10. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I'm gonna start using shavings but was wondering how much a bag of them are usually?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by