Fowl Pox - Eyes Shut!!!

tacosta1009

Songster
Feb 17, 2020
Hi, all! I have 3 hens whose eyes are almost completely shut from the fowl pox scabs. Any suggestions on how to get them nourished and hydrated in this state?? They are having difficulty finding the water and food in some cases. :(

I already have them separated, each in their own crate.

When I have sick chickens, I will hold food and water up to their beaks. Mixing chicken feed in a bit of water, and add things like scrambled egg can be good. Terramycin eye ointment is found at some feed stores.

I’m happy to hear your hens and rooster survived through fowl pox. Sadly, my three old hens ages 7-8 all died. It was a struggle and once their eyes closed shut it was so challenging to get therm to eat.

I’m now doing my best to manage my outside 5. Thankfully they’re ages 2-4 and are experiencing the leg blisters and only a few spots on their comb/wattle/face. I just now put one of my 4 year olds in the house because I discovered she has a nasty vent wound. I don’t know if it’s vent gleet or actually a bacterial infection. She got a bath yesterday and I’ve been putting on Neosporin, Vetericyn spray and even coconut oil today. She’s smelly down there.

It’s been one thing after the next. I was able to get rid of lice on them, but then discovered the coop had areas of red mites all over. I’m pretty sure Peaches vent wound is more related.

It’s been one thing after the next. I was able to get rid of lice on them, but then discovered the coop had areas of red mites all over. I’m pretty sure Peaches vent wound is more related.
Think it could be fly strike?? I hear you— it can be an avalanche at times for sure!

I’ve dealt with fly strike before, and this seems different. Thank goodness there were no maggots eating her alive. I have her inside now so I can monitor her. This morning she kept hiding away from the other hens and I just knew it was time to bring her in. It’s supposed to get to 97 here and I fear leaving her outside more flies and wasps and all the other things could be attracted to her fanny. I’ll get a photo today and post.

Back
Top Bottom