Fowl pox

Mamaschickens5

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2023
Hello my chickens currently have fowl pox and the first one to get sick had the bumps turn to scabs and now they look like warts completely covering her eyelid all the way around. It went from being irritated to being completely swollen almost shut as the wart things are forming. I feel so bad for her. I’ve been using bacitracin without anything in it per comments I’ve seen on here and other places. Is there anything else I can do for her? She can only see out of the opposite eye. I have been giving her and the rest of the flock poultry nutridrench in their water. There’s 5 chickens total. But mama chicken looks terrible and has to be miserable. She keeps trying to scratch her eye which opened the wound too. Yesterday her eye had looked so much better than it had. The open wounds had cleared and her eye was just a little watery. Today it’s near swollen closed.

Attachments

• F9325301-41AA-4CFD-ACC2-FAFD6131CA9F.jpeg
    F9325301-41AA-4CFD-ACC2-FAFD6131CA9F.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 58
Can you get Terramycin?
I have a bottle of injectable terramycin but wasn’t sure if I should give it to her since it’s a virus. I’ve been thinking that she probably needs it for her eye but again wasn’t sure because of the lesions irritating the eye. I’m afraid it’s going to hurt her

Fowl pox can make a perfect environment for mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) which may cause the swelling gunky eye. Flushing the eye with saline and applying antibiotic ointment twice a day may help.

Back
Top Bottom