Fowl Pox Lesions

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
One of our hens has fowl pox (cutaneous form). How long do the lesions continue to become larger? We noticed them last week and they are are still getting worse.

It may not be fowl pox. When my flock had dry fowl pox, most of them showed lesions on the same day, they looked about the same for 3 weeks, then suddenly all disappeared.

Some of mine were horrible...others not bad at all. When they get the lumps on the face and legs its really bad. Not much you can do although some people put stuff on them. THey will run their course and go away. It varies from bird to bird.

Here are the photos. They were taken in drastically different lighting, so her comb appears much lighter in the second set.

I apologize for the thread hijack but I'm not finding any clear answer........I have never had any chicken disease issues past a few cases of cocci a couple years ago. I'm wondering, once a bird has fowl pox, can the bird be a carrier and infect a "clean" flock.I was looking at getting birds from a breeder who today I saw posted they have fowl pox break outs yearly. This greatly concerns me, as I don't want to be opening myself up to undo issues. Any insight would be great. Thanks and sorry again for the hijack.

No worries! I would also like to know if this is something they get once or if they can get it again. I've read the virus can remain for a long time in the scabs once they're fallen off, but I haven't read a specific time period. I assume it's months. It's spread by mosquitos or by direct contact, so I don't think they're carriers once they've recovered. I would like to know if it's painful.

Back
Top Bottom