Fowl pox or black head disease? Please help!

Chickadee1982

Songster
Aug 21, 2016
Tallahassee, FL
My turkey hen has developed a swollen sore yesterday, this morning she has a few new ones. I am not sure if these are fowl pox sores or if this is histomoniasis related. Please help, I would like to know what else other than vitamins, probiotics and iodine on sores I can do to help. TIA

My turkey hen has developed a swollen sore yesterday, this morning she has a few new ones. I am not sure if these are fowl pox sores or if this is histomoniasis related. Please help, I would like to know what else other than vitamins, probiotics and iodine on sores I can do to help. TIA
If she has sores and swellings it's pox and possibly a bacterial infection, it is *not* blackhead. Can you post some pictures?

If it is dry fowl pox, there really isn't anything to do except to let it run its course. If it is blackhead, some people firmly believe in using cayenne pepper but that is not the course of treatment that @casportpony would recommend.

Post pictures.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541425946527.jpg_1541425948441.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541425955647.jpg_1541426213805.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541425955647.jpg_1541426213805.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1541425946527.jpg_1541425948441.jpeg

If she has sores and swellings it's pox and possibly a bacterial infection, it is *not* blackhead. Can you post some pictures?
I apologize, I do this on my phone, so pics take a while. They should be
Fowl pox.
Phew! You think? Yay!!! My heart sank into my bridges for a second that it was black head disease. I can live which fowl pox. It's still in the 80's here in FL, mosquitoes didn't get the memo that they should leave.

I have been applying neomycin ophthalmic ointment on the sores at eye, I will start iodine today then. Giving Benebac probiotic gel and liquid vitamins. Couldn't fathom to lose my Polly Pocket to blackhead.

I have been applying neomycin ophthalmic ointment on the sores at eye, I will start iodine today then. Giving Benebac probiotic gel and liquid vitamins. Couldn't fathom to lose my Polly Pocket to blackhead.
She should recover, just watch for secondary infections of the sinuses and eyes.

Back
Top Bottom