Fowl pox or Pecking injuries?

HighlandRogue

Chirping
Aug 5, 2021
I thought Tiberius here (11week old leghorn) might have the pox but now I'm not so sure. Are the girls pecking at his comb? Here are some pics... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_184215.jpg
    IMG_20211016_184215.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211016_184204.jpg
    IMG_20211016_184204.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 4
I thought Tiberius here (11week old leghorn) might have the pox but now I'm not so sure. Are the girls pecking at his comb? Here are some pics... Thanks!
How many birds do you have and how are they housed (how much space)? Are they younger ones with older birds?

Looks like injury/pinching to the comb. The larger scab they may be picking at that. If you need to, separate him so he heals. For me, I would watch the scabs over the course of several days to see if they get better - especially the larger one. Observe the birds for signs of pecking (during roosting too).

I have 8 hens and Tiberius. They are all leghorns and about 11 weeks old. They have a large area to roost. Laying boxes are already there and a larger area to roam. They do like to roost right near each other. Almost in a row. I do have a way to separate him from the girls if you think I should. For how long? Until it heals up completely? Thanks!

I would observe during roosting. 32sq ft can quite close quarters for 9 birds.
If you need to, separate out the cockerel to see if that helps.
Pulled him out like you suggested and then yesterday he looked a lot better. Upon closer examination it appears they were scabs that have started to fall off on there own. That big one on his right side and the lower one on the left came off to expose nice new skin. The tips of his comb are still healing. Thank you so much. I'm looking at an expansion now to give them some more sqft. 👍💪✌️

Pulled him out like you suggested and then yesterday he looked a lot better. Upon closer examination it appears they were scabs that have started to fall off on there own. That big one on his right side and the lower one on the left came off to expose nice new skin. The tips of his comb are still healing. Thank you so much. I'm looking at an expansion now to give them some more sqft. 👍💪✌️
Sounds good! I'm glad he's healing up:)

Sometimes it's a challenge to make more space, but I've found with chickens, the more space I can give, the better off they are. It's not always a fix all - there can still be bullying, picking and squabbling but more room can help.

At 11 weeks, the girls are (for now) dominating the cockerel. Once he gets a little older, then he will assert himself more. BUT Males like that female attention too. I've had roosters stand perfectly still and LET hens pick at a sore or scabs on their comb (daily). I'm sure it did not feel too good, but they didn't seem to care:hmm I would move them so I could treat the combs, let them heal then move them back.

Sounds good! I'm glad he's healing up:)

Sometimes it's a challenge to make more space, but I've found with chickens, the more space I can give, the better off they are. It's not always a fix all - there can still be bullying, picking and squabbling but more room can help.

At 11 weeks, the girls are (for now) dominating the cockerel. Once he gets a little older, then he will assert himself more. BUT Males like that female attention too. I've had roosters stand perfectly still and LET hens pick at a sore or scabs on their comb (daily). I'm sure it did not feel too good, but they didn't seem to care:hmm I would move them so I could treat the combs, let them heal then move them back.
Yes indeed. He will be near by until healed up.
I also read an article about adding "space" by going up. Following that logic I'm going to add some more (higher) roosting areas until I can complete the addition. I'm also going to try the "scratch in the water bottle" trick I read about. Get 6 bottles (I drink mostly water anyway). Drill some holes throw in a little scratch and toss them in to keep them occupied, and hopefully, that they won't fight over them.

Back
Top Bottom