Fowl Pox or something else??

ErinMaria

Chirping
Oct 25, 2019
Hi all,
Well my Chelsea girl is spending time outside again after her hawk attack (or possible neighbors dog attack). And I just noticed yesterday this little bump on her face by her beak. It is flesh toned not black or dark color and today there are more. She spent 3 weeks in my house getting better from her near-death experience and now this. I’m positing a pic of the first bump. It’s definitely not a tick. It’s part of her face and has feathers poking out. When I catch her again I’ll take a new pic of her that shows the other new bumps. Jeez! When it rains it pours! My poor chicken.
Any advice helps a lot.

Attachments

• E08B58C2-9131-4E0E-9ED5-E86B95329DC3.jpeg
    E08B58C2-9131-4E0E-9ED5-E86B95329DC3.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 88A0959E-7A7A-4F0C-B28B-A217F61BBF3F.jpeg
    88A0959E-7A7A-4F0C-B28B-A217F61BBF3F.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 14
  • A5227F05-F31E-4418-B9FE-FB1413F873FE.jpeg
    A5227F05-F31E-4418-B9FE-FB1413F873FE.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi all,
Well my Chelsea girl is spending time outside again after her hawk attack (or possible neighbors dog attack). And I just noticed yesterday this little bump on her face by her beak. It is flesh toned not black or dark color and today there are more. She spent 3 weeks in my house getting better from her near-death experience and now this. I’m positing a pic of the first bump. It’s definitely not a tick. It’s part of her face and has feathers poking out. When I catch her again I’ll take a new pic of her that shows the other new bumps. Jeez! When it rains it pours! My poor chicken.
Any advice helps a lot.
Hi there! Nope, that is definitely not Fowl Pox :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-17_19-31-18.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-17_19-31-18.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2019-11-17_19-34-11.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-17_19-34-11.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7
It seems to be spreading and on the other side as well. I want to give her a bath too bc she’s been covered in neosporin for weeks and then went for a mud bath after. Anyone have any tips for giving a chicken a bath?? I’ll keep her in the house til she’s all the way dry of course. I just want her to get better my poor bird. of course she’s well enough to peck me! She’s mad bc I have her quarantined outside in our little coop, which has 2 runs on either side while her sisters free roam. I just don’t want her to infect the rest of the flock. Plus she’s been attacked quite a bit. She runs before they get her but still, Too close for comfort with whatever she’s got going on.

It seems to be spreading and on the other side as well. I want to give her a bath too bc she’s been covered in neosporin for weeks and then went for a mud bath after. Anyone have any tips for giving a chicken a bath?? I’ll keep her in the house til she’s all the way dry of course. I just want her to get better my poor bird. of course she’s well enough to peck me! She’s mad bc I have her quarantined outside in our little coop, which has 2 runs on either side while her sisters free roam. I just don’t want her to infect the rest of the flock. Plus she’s been attacked quite a bit. She runs before they get her but still, Too close for comfort with whatever she’s got going on.
I'm not sure what that is growing on her face but I can tell you that there is no point in locking her up...if she has something contagious your other chickens have already been exposed.

Locking her up is just going to stress her out which is going to make her worse. (possibly)

I'm not sure what that is growing on her face but I can tell you that there is no point in locking her up...if she has something contagious your other chickens have already been exposed.

Locking her up is just going to stress her out which is going to make her worse. (possibly)
Firstly, shes not in anyway "locked up" She has a coop and 2 big runs with space to dig and dirt bathe. Shes also recovering from an attack and needs to be kept separate from the rest because they have been attacking her and keeping her from eating or drinking since being re-introduced. Shes only been back outside now for 4 days, since then I've received several advice tips that agree slowly reintroducing her is best for her injuries as well as letting the others get used to her again. She is completely bald on her entire back and under her wings and the entire back of her neck is just now regrowing skin. Shes in bad shape, and now this new problem is making her recovery even more of an issue. I've also read that if she has fowl pox to keep her separate so not to infect the other birds, none of them present any of the same signs of this virus and I'd like to minimize this outbreak if I can for the health of my flock. I am not a pinhead that would simply force any undue stress onto any of my birds. So thanks but no thanks for the non advice.

Back
Top Bottom