Fowl Pox... What to do with Flock?

texascwb

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Fowl Pox.... Is this a sign to stop raising chickens???

I had me a nice healthy flock for the most part....
Someone loved my eggs so much they asked me to help her with her co-op for eggs.
In just 2 weeks the request for eggs was not expected.
I thought well I could just get some older hens to help meet the demand.
The majority came from one place.
The all seemed to be healthy and happy.

Just to add... I enjoy hatching out chicks so I have been doing that for awhile!

Now the nightmare.
Noticed lice worms in the poo.
ok.. working on the treatment for that... seems to be something I can get rid of.

NOW... Fowl Pox, it seems.
I new something appeared wrong and last night and this morning and saw some signs.
I don't even want to go out this evening!!!

I have done reasearch online and have some questions!!!

Fowl Pox can just run its course and the surviors will have immunity.
With immunity, does that also mean they are carriers for life and one would never want to sell that bird to anyone else for fear it can harm their flock?

Any new chicks which are normally ones I raise myself.
Are they immune through the hen?
Do I vaccinate the chicks?
Stop introducing any new chicks/chickens into the flock for possible new pox infestation from the carriers?

Are the eggs still good to eat that they do lay?
Can the chickens be eaten after they appear healthy again?
Should there be withdrawals from eating the eggs or chickens?

Should I just deplete my flock and burn?

So many questions but see if any can be answered to push me on!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks... more info than I had before! :)

Some sites say carriers once they have had them and others do not.
How do I know what is accurate?
If carriers, I will need to cull as I get my younger chicks vaccinated and up to spead for eggs!

I pointed out sites as I don't know for sure, as I recall vaccinated chicks also become carriers for some things but not others...

Maybe you can illicit an expert form here somewhere.

Was it dry or wet?

Most appear to be dry.. but I think there is some wet also due to I have lost a few young ones' and I think they had the wet.

With immunity, does that also mean they are carriers for life and one would never want to sell that bird to anyone else for fear it can harm their flock?
This is what The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow says. Quote"Infected birds naturally recover in 2-4 weeks and are immune (but some remain carriers and may become reinfected during molt and other times of stress)." End quote. I would suggest refraining from selling a previously affected bird unless you know it is completely well. Perhaps wait 30-60 days and keep a close eye on the birds that were infected.

Any new chicks which are normally ones I raise myself.
Are they immune through the hen?
I don't know.
hu.gif

Do I vaccinate the chicks? You can vaccinate them & that will help. If I remember correctly, you can vaccinate young chickens as long as they are under six months old.
Stop introducing any new chicks/chickens into the flock for possible new pox infestation from the carriers? I would separate the sick chickens and wait 30 days or so before introducing new chicks/chickens to the flock.
Are the eggs still good to eat that they do lay? I personally don't eat eggs from a hen that is sick. When our chickens get fowl pox, we separate them and give them Duramycin (which is an antibiotic) for seven days. During those seven days, we just toss out any eggs they lay. After that, once the hen is better, we do resume eating their eggs.
Can the chickens be eaten after they appear healthy again? I'd wait 30 days to make sure they are completely well and then I would eat them. I don't know what the recommendations are though.
Should there be withdrawals from eating the eggs or chickens? Look at above answers.
smile.png

Should I just deplete my flock and burn? I don't think you have to do that. It will just take time to take care of each chicken that is infected.

When I have chickens with fowl pox, I usually separate them. Then I will give them Duramycin for seven days (I usually have the chicken drink one cup & then they can have plain water the rest of the day). If there are scabs, I rub mouth wash on them once or twice a day. If a chicken has wet pox, you will have to swipe the gunk out of its mouth and throat. I hope this helps!
smile.png

a)Vaccinate the sick chickens with Newcastle disease, and
b)do some surgery to remove poxes
Good luck!

Hello I need some help! I have two show quality sumatra's that have wet pox, The problem is that I have been trying to cure them, and it has not worked
hit.gif
so my question is can I possibly hatch out their chicks? Would they come out healthy?? I would think not, but I really don't want to lose those genetics. Thanks so very much!

How are you treating the sick ones with wet pox? Do they have the yellow patches in their throats? Are you giving antibiotics? I would probably try hatching the eggs, but keep the chicks far far away.

Back
Top Bottom