Fowl pox?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I need all information I can get on fowl pox as someone on here told me one of my marans might have it.

1) Will she infect the rest of my flock?
2) Will she die?
3) Will the others die?
4) Are her eggs safe?
5) Tell me about the vaccine...
a. Can I give it to laying hens (all of my chickens are 23 weeks and have not been vaccinated for it that I know of)
b. If vaccinated, will their eggs be safe?
c. Where do I buy the vaccination? How do I give it to them?
6) Will she infect my neighbors chickens? I have 3 neighbors with chickens. 1 free ranges his 2 hens. The others keep theirs contained.
7) Do I need to cull her?
8) How does the disease progress?

The white spot has been there for about a week. She should be coming into lay soon.

I had some fowl pox in my turkeys this year, that doesn't look like it at all, the pox is black and scabby, and there are multiple spots that cover the face, that doesn't look like anything I would worry about.

I had some fowl pox in my turkeys this year, that doesn't look like it at all, the pox is black and scabby, and there are multiple spots that cover the face, that doesn't look like anything I would worry about.
I was told this is the beginning stages and that it will later turn into the black scabby stuff. Your expirience is most helpful though and I really hope your right about this being nothing to worry about. Do you have any idea what the white spot could be? It has the appearance of mold or moss and has a "fuzzy" feeling to it.

Could just be an abrasion, scraped it, mine was just there one day, looking scabby and gross, wished I had taken pictures, it looked horrible, there's really nothing that treats fowl pox anyways except time, I really still don't think that's anything on your hen, hopefully it goes away in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom