Fowl Pox?

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
This year has been terrible. I had coccidiosis in my flock (pretty sure I have it again, just in different chickens), a snake ate all of my pullets, a racoon ate my rooster, and now I think I have fowl pox. Lovely. Can you guys just help me confirm my suspicions?
20220916_191210.jpg

This year has been terrible. I had coccidiosis in my flock (pretty sure I have it again, just in different chickens), a snake ate all of my pullets, a racoon ate my rooster, and now I think I have fowl pox. Lovely. Can you guys just help me confirm my suspicions?
View attachment 3262617
I’ve never had a case but it certainly looks like dry pox that I’ve seen pics of here and elsewhere when researching possible future poultry disease. Hopefully your flock keeps a mild case.

I’ve never had a case but it certainly looks like dry pox that I’ve seen pics of here and elsewhere when researching possible future poultry disease. Hopefully your flock keeps a mild case.
I hope so. He seems to be the only one affected. I'm going to vaccinate all of them that arent affected.

I agree, it looks like Fowl Pox.
Usually this will resolve on its own over the course of several weeks. Then this bird will have built resistance.

Vaccination is up to you.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
I'm going to go ahead and give it to the pullets he is in with at least. I read that to go through a flock completely, it can take months, even a year. What is your opinion on the vaccine? I have to spend my money to buy it, so if it is not necessary, I wont get it. However I did find some for about $15 and thats not terrible.

Here is what I have decided. I am going to let it run its course, but I am going to try and contain it to the pullets he is in with. Next year, when I get more chicks, I am going to vaccinate all the chicks and any adult birds who didnt get it.

It’s an antibiotic to help with different type of illnesses, I wanted to give them a shot of that in the breast and also the pox vaccine which is in the wing
Yes, I know it's an antibiotic, but what are you trying to treat? Are your birds sick?

Fowl Pox is a virus, so an antibiotic would not be effective.

If you are giving the Fowl Pox vaccine, a bird must be healthy and not diseased. If the birds are requiring antibiotic treatment, then NO, I would not give them the vaccine along with an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom