Fowl pox?

Yooniebean

Chirping
Mar 17, 2020
Hello. One of my hens got these scab like things on her waddle area quite some time ago but I saw it as nothing until today since I just thought an animal might attacked her. past few days she has stopped laying and had become very inactive and not interested in food. I wouldn't worry to much since she was still grooming herself and drinking water along with scratching around the yard, though she would lay down and not do anything more than usual. Tonight when I went to check on her she seemed too calm when I approached her. She usually gets up to leave when she sees me.
Tried giving her some food she loves and she wouldn't even look at it.

She just stands there with her eyes closed.
One of my past chickens went through the eyes closed and not moving thing after a scare with my dog. Gave her sugar water for two days and she went back to her normal self. But this one is looking way too pale.

Did some research and saw that fowl pox could be a reason but it's been a lot longer than what they say it's the time period for it to catch and kill her if untreated in some way 😓
Any comments would be helpful:)🙏
I'll post a pic of her in her normal state vs how she currently is.

If it comes to worse she will be cremated. She is one of my babies💜

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208_230140.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208_230140.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221209_015043.jpg
    20221209_015043.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 4
It might be fowl pox. Open her mouth and look for lesions inside her mouth. Also do your best to smell her breath. Let us know what you see and smell..

She has gained a bit more color and is more aware after only a few hours of some sugar water and coconut water, she still not her normal active self. She's drinking a lot water by herself when she's outside. Seems to peck around but bot really eats anything as her poop is just coming out watery with almost no color. Checked my other chicken (only have 2) and she seems to also have a black scab like on her comb and some barely there black marks, wattles seem fine. They both do tend to try to get out and the fence is not put up well for there's rough edges so I'm not sure if it could be that and this one just had a scare and I didn't notice 😓

Attachments

• 20221209_073441.jpg
    20221209_073441.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 4
Inspect her closely for lice and mites, especially around her vent area. What does her feces look like?
No mites too, been checking for those these past few days too since she starred acting like this. And her feces is just clear, when cleaned you can see it has a very light yellowish brown tint. Still continues to just drink water more than usual😓

Back
Top Bottom