Fowl pox???

backyardfarmerwannabe

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Salmon
I think I may have a case of fowl pox. My splash white orpington cock has a large bump on his face. I think it's fowl pox but not sure I'm new to raising chickens. I thought it was a sore at first but closer inspection reveled it's not open. He is eating, drinking and acting normal so he doesn't seem to be affected by it. Can anyone help diagnose? Here are the pictures:
63150_img_1779.jpg

63150_img_1800.jpg

63150_img_1802.jpg

hmm.png

Last edited:
Looks like it's probably fowl pox. Can't be 100% sure, but that's most likely. Separate him until he gets better and put him on some oral antibiotics to keep him from getting a secondary infection with it.

It looks like it could be fowl pox, but it looks more like an infection. The surrounding area is swollen. Fowl pox will eventually spread to his comb and wattles...watch for that sign. I would try squeezing the swollen area (wear plastic gloves) and see if anything comes out. Either way if it does or doesnt, apply iodine to prevent bacterial infection,then neosporin. It'll take approximately a month for fowl pox to disappear. I agree with KellyHM to keep him seperated.

Back
Top Bottom