"Fowl" weather question

QueenOscotts

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Opinions please. I am a new chicken owner. My chicks are about 11 weeks old and recently moved into their coop. Today we have rain ALL day long, with some high winds, heavy rain expected, temps in low 70's. I'm afraid to let them out in the run today, but I hate to keep them in the coop alll day. Their food is in the coop and we just put their water in the coop for the day (I usually have it outside in the run). What do ya'll think. Is it okay to keep them in the coop all day today?

As long as the coop is big enough that they are not fighting or picking on each other, it won’t hurt them to stay in the coop all day.

Personally I always give mine the choice. I open the pop door and let them decide. If they want to go out in the weather (rain, snow, cold, heat) they can and usually do though some don’t like the snow at first. At 11 weeks it won’t hurt yours to go outside in the rain.

They should be fine in the coop, provided with adequate space......
or allowed access to the run, provided they can and will go back inside if needed.

I have some shelter out in the run, some go inside some just shelter in the run when it pours rain.....
....they all dash outside after the rain stops(and sometimes before) to forage energetically as the rain seem to flush out the bugs.

I always give mine the choice. I'm in the PNW and if they stayed locked up every time it rained they'd spend months on end inside.

Back
Top Bottom