Fowltemptress' Poultry Presents: Board Games

For the first featured game, check this out!

It's occurred to me that if I only showcase one of my games a week, I'll be here for ages. So instead, I'm changing my posting schedule to whenever I feel like it.

With that said, today's featured board game is Funkoverse!
20230716_104547.jpg

Don't let its cutesy exterior fool you: inside is a game of intense head to head battle as you fight to knock eachother out using special powers, funky weapons, and dice! Buying more than one set allows you to play a Mish mash of characters, including Game of Thrones, Golden Girls, Harry Potter, and those kooky folks from Squid Games. My personal favorites are the Jurassic Park sets - as a chicken fan, of course I'd have a soft spot for dinosaurs! Choose your characters, map, and scenario and start busting heads by rolling dice! Let's go, Naked Neck!

Uh, I'm not sure that's a Funkoverse character . . .

Too late, I've knocked out your Batman. Bwahaha!
20230716_104119.jpg

Last edited:
Featured game #2

Oops, it's been awhile since I've featured a game! Things went awry here when a neighbor's dog ripped through a coop and killed every bird in there. This neighbor is a few miles away, and in his words, "I let 'em (his dogs) out every night to hunt coons and yotes." Translation: "I'm in denial about the roaming range and hunting habits of my dogs, who are regularly found miles away on other people's property where, when not tearing up coops, they destroy wild turkey nests, maul baby deer, and basically hunt and kill everything except "coons and yotes."" What a nightmare.

In the spirit of damage control, this week's featured game is Pandemic: The Cure.

20230802_194658.jpg

Pandemic is a massively popular cooperative game in which players use cards and work as a team to keep the world from succumbing to different diseases. And full disclosure, I HATE Pandemic. It bores me to tears. Luckily for me, Pandemic is so stinking popular that the publishers have put out a billion different versions of the game, and one of those versions is Pandemic: The Cure.

As much as I despise Pandemic, I love, love, love Pandemic: The Cure! For one thing, Pandemic takes a bit of time to set up because you have to arrange the deck of cards first. It's not much time, but it's enough to annoy this impatient soul. Pandemic: The Cure takes seconds to slap on the table, and you're ready to roll! Literally, because this version of the game has done away with cards in favor of . . .

drumroll . . .

DICE!
20230802_194718.jpg

Lots and lots of beautiful, goose-approved dice.

20230802_194830.jpg

Warning: leaving dice alone with geese may lead to the mysterious disappearance of said dice. Do not try this at home.

The Cure takes its cue from Yahtzee and uses custom dice featuring variable player powers to pit you against a world hellbent on getting sick from illnesses that are represented by - you guessed it - more dice!

20230802_223857.jpg

I really, really like dice. Almost as much as I like geese.

Last edited:
Featured Game #3

The new crop of guineas to replace the ones lost to a dog attack are growing up fast. It won't be long before they'll be unleashed upon the ticks that rule this area of the world. Ticks are awful. They're so awful, I wouldn't want to hex my worst enemy with them. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to hex my best friend during a game of Hex Hex!

20230806_111733.jpg

Hex Hex takes our familiar childhood game, hot potato, and adds cards and chaos to create one of my favorite games. It's a mean, mean game that has a "hex" moving around the table as people use their cards to attempt to pass the hex to someone else before it blows up. Besides cards that pass the hex, there are cards that have other powers as well, including cards that duplicate the hex! One of my favorite times playing this game was when we'd managed to duplicate the hex to the point where we had 8 hexes whirling around the table, with everyone desperately playing cards and hoping their hand didn't run out before another hex landed on them. It was fun, exciting, and pure madness - a lot like raising guineas, actually.

20230806_112102.jpg

Click here for featured game #4

A few people have posted in this thread several of the games they like to play. I've played and owned most of the ones mentioned, but unfortunately I won't be able to feature them because I no longer have them. If I don't absolutely love a game, I don't buy/keep it. Some would say I have way too many games already - I'm inclined to agree with those wise folks. But there were a couple games mentioned that I do have, one of which is Wingspan.

20230818_102550.jpg

I know she's not really poultry, but my cockatiel has been with me for decades and it seems wrong to leave her out of the fun. Plus, what could be a more fitting game for her to showcase?

In all honesty, if it weren't about birds I probably wouldn't have bothered owning Wingspan. It lacks the nail-biting, cutthroat, backstabbing meanness that I've come to love in games. But the game is beautiful, with an overabundance of cards featuring fun watercolors of birds, and there's something to be said for nice leisurely games in which your main focus is on building up a pretty little display in front of you. I love seeing what birds I can bring into my habitat, and it's fun rolling the wooden food dice using the birdhouse shaped dice tower.

20230818_103016.jpg

Abby was unimpressed by my my efforts to get her to interact with the dice tower. She wouldn't even touch the millet I tossed in there!

20230818_110928.png

She was, however, very interested in eating the cards that come with the game.

Base Wingspan comes with North American birds, but there will be an expansion for every continent, including Antarctica. I only have the Europe expansion with no plans to get any more, though Abby thinks I should at least get the Oceania expansion. There is, after all, a cockatiel card in that one.

20230818_141150.jpg

Abby left a present for me on my game shelves to show just what she thinks of any hobby that does not involve catering to her every whim.

Last edited:

A few people have posted in this thread several of the games they like to play. I've played and owned most of the ones mentioned, but unfortunately I won't be able to feature them because I no longer have them. If I don't absolutely love a game, I don't buy/keep it. Some would say I have way too many games already - I'm inclined to agree with those wise folks. But there were a couple games mentioned that I do have, one of which is Wingspan.

View attachment 3612804

I know she's not really poultry, but my cockatiel has been with me for decades and it seems wrong to leave her out of the fun. Plus, what could be a more fitting game for her to showcase?

In all honesty, if it weren't about birds I probably wouldn't have bothered owning Wingspan. It lacks the nail-biting, cutthroat, backstabbing meanness that I've come to love in games. But the game is beautiful, with an overabundance of cards featuring fun watercolors of birds, and there's something to be said for nice leisurely games in which your main focus is on building up a pretty little display in front of you. I love seeing what birds I can bring into my habitat, and it's fun rolling the wooden food dice using the birdhouse shaped dice tower.

View attachment 3612809
Abby was unimpressed by my my efforts to get her to interact with the dice tower. She wouldn't even touch the millet I tossed in there!

View attachment 3612819

Base Wingspan comes with North American birds, but there will be an expansion for every continent, including Antarctica. I only have the Europe expansion with no plans to get any more, though Abby thinks I should at least get the Oceania expansion. There is, after all, a cockatiel card in that one.

View attachment 3612848
Abby left a present for me on my game shelves to show just what she thinks of any hobby that does not involve catering to her every whim.

View attachment 3612804

View attachment 3612809

View attachment 3612819

View attachment 3612848
As a attention-getter, featuring Abby was a stroke of genius. I will admit, however, that I was more interested in seeing the photos of Abby than reading about the game.

As a attention-getter, featuring Abby was a stroke of genius. I will admit, however, that I was more interested in seeing the photos of Abby than reading about the game.
She'll be 30 years old this December. Best Christmas gift anyone has ever gotten me.

. . . sorry, next year. I keep thinking it's 2024.

Last edited:
Wingspan

It's certainly been a sizzling summer for a lot of folks. Let's ratchet up the heat a bit more with something spicy and visit the ducks for a game of Safranito!

20230823_145957.jpg

Growing up, a family favorite activity for every gathering was never-ending games of washers, where we'd toss large washers at boards and score points. One point for every washer closer to the hole than any of your opponent's, three points for washers that overhang the hole, and five points for every washer you manage to toss into the hole. I've seen different versions of this outdoor game, but the one I grew up with (and therefore the undisputed superior version) had us pitching washers onto a carpeted ramp with one hole cut into it. Washers is a magnificent game and I highly recommend it. But what if it's raining and you can't play outdoors, or you want to play washers but you also feel an equally powerful urge to buy, sell, and collect sets of cards and exchange them for spice combinations? This is the weird little niche that Safranito inhabits.

Like all my favorite games, Safranito can get nasty. I've played friendly games of Safranito with nice people who were unwilling to mess up their rivals' plans. YAWN. Safranito is at its best when playing with competitive, cutthroat jerks who positively revel in destroying your best laid plans through strategically tossed washers. And it doesn't always work out for the destruction-loving jerks, which provides a whole nother level of satisfaction. I've contorted myself into the weirdest positions in order to get that perfect shot that would lay waste to someone else's carefully tossed washers, only to have my washer accidentally nudge theirs into an even better position. The sighs of relief and subsequent razzing from the intended target is infuriating - in the funnest possible way! I love it.

20230823_150951.jpg

The muscovies seem to take the heat in stride, but can they handle the spice?

I don't think Safranito is in print anymore, unfortunately. There is, however, a nearly identical game that came out more recently called Hibachi - as far as I can tell it looks like the exact same game, but with different theming. If you like games such as washers, horseshoes, and cornhole, and you've ever wondered what it would be like if one of those games had a head on collision with a game like Ticket to Ride, Hibachi's got your answer.

Last edited:
Wingspan

It's certainly been a sizzling summer for a lot of folks. Let's ratchet up the heat a bit more with something spicy and visit the ducks for a game of Safranito!

View attachment 3618642

Growing up, a family favorite activity for every gathering was never-ending games of washers, where we'd toss large washers at boards and score points. One point for every washer closer to the hole than any of your opponent's, three points for washers that overhang the hole, and five points for every washer you manage to toss into the hole. I've seen different versions of this outdoor game, but the one I grew up with (and therefore the undisputed superior version) had us pitching washers onto a carpeted ramp with one hole cut into it. Washers is a magnificent game and I highly recommend it. But what if it's raining and you can't play outdoors, or you want to play washers but you also feel an equally powerful urge to buy, sell, and collect sets of cards and exchange them for spice combinations? This is the weird little niche that Safranito inhabits.

Like all my favorite games, Safranito can get nasty. I've played friendly games of Safranito with nice people who were unwilling to mess up their rivals' plans. YAWN. Safranito is at its best when playing with competitive, cutthroat jerks who positively revel in destroying your best laid plans through strategically tossed washers. And it doesn't always work out for the destruction-loving jerks, which provides a whole nother level of satisfaction. I've contorted myself into the weirdest positions in order to get that perfect shot that would lay waste to someone else's carefully tossed washers, only to have my washer accidentally nudge theirs into an even better position. The sighs of relief and subsequent razzing from the intended target is infuriating - in the funnest possible way! I love it.

View attachment 3618688
The muscovies seem to take the heat in stride, but can they handle the spice?

I don't think Safranito is in print anymore, unfortunately. There is, however, a nearly identical game that came out more recently called Hibachi - as far as I can tell it looks like the exact same game, but with different theming. If you like games such as washers, horseshoes, and cornhole, and you've ever wondered what it would be like if one of those games had a head on collision with a game like Ticket to Ride, Hibachi's got your answer.
This is a game I'd love to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom