Fowltemptress' Poultry Presents: Board Games

Pics

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
Edited to add, I've decided to add some fun to this thread and occasionally feature a game! I'm not going to pick a specific day - I'm too scatterbrained to stick to one - but I'll try to post at least once a week. Well, that is until I run out of games! These will all be from my personal games shelf, and the models showcasing the games will all be close, personal friends of mine. 😉 The first featured game can be found here, or on page 3 of this thread.

Anyone else enjoy board games? I moved away from an area where many people played board games as a hobby. I still play games with my husband, but sometimes I miss the weekly large gatherings for game nights we used to have. I've never met another board gamer who was also a poultry lover though, and I'm curious to see if more of that combination exists, and what sorts of tabletop games my fellow feather fans enjoy. My personal favorite game is Caverna. I love building up my own personal farm and putting cool little rooms in my cave/home. I'd love to hear of other folks' favorites.

Speaking of the worlds of poultry and board games colliding, I recently stumbled across a game that will be coming to Kickstarter soon. I loathe Kickstarter and promised to never back anything on it, but how can I be expected to resist this? The art alone is adorable enough to make me want it! I've been wishing for a decent chicken themed game for ages now, and this one's giving me high hopes. Anyone else maybe know of other poultry themed tabletop games I haven't heard of?

Last edited:
The first game featured on Board Games Galore is Survive: Escape From Atlantis!

20230714_114922.jpg

People who enjoy the "meanness" of Catan will love this game. And unlike Catan, this game never drags on forever! In this game you're island inhabitants desperately trying to escape a sinking island, but there are limited escape boats and the waters are filled with monsters, sharks, and whales. Oh my! Not everyone can make it, so darn the women and children, it's everyone for themselves! You'll be steering opponents into the open maws of sea monsters and using whales to destroy their boats as you attempt to get as many of your own people to safety as possible. Personally, my muscovies don't understand why being dumped into water could be a bad thing. Certainly my drake, Putin, is more than a match for a hungry shark!

20230714_114856.jpg

The game presenter, Putin, is my favorite Muscovy drake. He came from Metzers and weighs close to 20 lbs, which makes him awkward with the much smaller girls. Unfortunately, he seems to think I'm more his size, so walking into the duck area has become a harrowing experience. Picture the music from Jaws: duh dun, duh dun, duhdunduhdunduhdun . . .
Okay, now replace that music with the sound of Putin approaching: hiss hsss, hiss hsss, hisshssshisshsshisshsss . . .
There are few things quite as terrifying, I tell ya.

Last edited:
For the first featured game, check this out!

It's occurred to me that if I only showcase one of my games a week, I'll be here for ages. So instead, I'm changing my posting schedule to whenever I feel like it.

With that said, today's featured board game is Funkoverse!
20230716_104547.jpg

Don't let its cutesy exterior fool you: inside is a game of intense head to head battle as you fight to knock eachother out using special powers, funky weapons, and dice! Buying more than one set allows you to play a Mish mash of characters, including Game of Thrones, Golden Girls, Harry Potter, and those kooky folks from Squid Games. My personal favorites are the Jurassic Park sets - as a chicken fan, of course I'd have a soft spot for dinosaurs! Choose your characters, map, and scenario and start busting heads by rolling dice! Let's go, Naked Neck!

Uh, I'm not sure that's a Funkoverse character . . .

Too late, I've knocked out your Batman. Bwahaha!
20230716_104119.jpg

Last edited:
That game is so funny, but still challenging.

We used to love Apples to Apples in college, but mainly because we were always trying to make the most ridiculous matches.
We play Cards Against Humanity on a pretty regular basis. It's like Apples to Apples for horrible people. (and NOT KID FRIENDLY)

Click here for featured game #4

A few people have posted in this thread several of the games they like to play. I've played and owned most of the ones mentioned, but unfortunately I won't be able to feature them because I no longer have them. If I don't absolutely love a game, I don't buy/keep it. Some would say I have way too many games already - I'm inclined to agree with those wise folks. But there were a couple games mentioned that I do have, one of which is Wingspan.

20230818_102550.jpg

I know she's not really poultry, but my cockatiel has been with me for decades and it seems wrong to leave her out of the fun. Plus, what could be a more fitting game for her to showcase?

In all honesty, if it weren't about birds I probably wouldn't have bothered owning Wingspan. It lacks the nail-biting, cutthroat, backstabbing meanness that I've come to love in games. But the game is beautiful, with an overabundance of cards featuring fun watercolors of birds, and there's something to be said for nice leisurely games in which your main focus is on building up a pretty little display in front of you. I love seeing what birds I can bring into my habitat, and it's fun rolling the wooden food dice using the birdhouse shaped dice tower.

20230818_103016.jpg

Abby was unimpressed by my my efforts to get her to interact with the dice tower. She wouldn't even touch the millet I tossed in there!

20230818_110928.png

She was, however, very interested in eating the cards that come with the game.

Base Wingspan comes with North American birds, but there will be an expansion for every continent, including Antarctica. I only have the Europe expansion with no plans to get any more, though Abby thinks I should at least get the Oceania expansion. There is, after all, a cockatiel card in that one.

20230818_141150.jpg

Abby left a present for me on my game shelves to show just what she thinks of any hobby that does not involve catering to her every whim.

Last edited:
Hi all, it’s so fun to find other board gamers on here! We had a regular in-person group until the pandemic and a wave of babies hit…now we just play 2-player games mostly.

My hubby is an inveterate Kickstarter person, and he just showed me flock together so I came on here to share — I see now that’s already been done! 😁

I just wish I had thought of Attila the Hen when I was picking my screen name for here! 😂

Back
Top Bottom