FOX ATTACK HELP!

I see you have two threads. Its often easier for people to help if you have one thread for advice. You can report your thread here with the report button below it, and ask that it is merged with your other one. Hope this helps, makes it easier for us, so we don't have to jump between two threads. Hope she continues to get better! ☺

Okay perfect, I bet she will be happy to have friends soon. Otherwise, rinse the wounds really well with what I like to call " a sterile solution", really something like Saline, Chlorhexadine, diluted iodine, etc. Then, you can spray with Bannix, and apply Neosporin over that. Are the feathers in the wound? You may want to use finger nail clippers, and clip or pluck some of the feathers away from the wound to keep it clean. Its really good she is eating, and especially drinking!
I have bunches of saline syringes (I work in the medical field) so I will start doing that along with adding neosporin. She did have some feathers in the wounds but she has plucked most of them away herself. I can look over them in the morning and pluck any additional ones, for the most part I’ve just been letting her rest and keeping her warm with a heater along with filling up the bath tub and letting her swim (that’s when she seems to be the most content and relaxed)

I have bunches of saline syringes (I work in the medical field) so I will start doing that along with adding neosporin. She did have some feathers in the wounds but she has plucked most of them away herself. I can look over them in the morning and pluck any additional ones, for the most part I’ve just been letting her rest and keeping her warm with a heater along with filling up the bath tub and letting her swim (that’s when she seems to be the most content and relaxed)
Awesome. How warm is the house? Since she is inside, she probably won't need a heater, but it is a nice touch for her when she was coming out of shock.

Good to rinse it with saline, add Neosporin, and keep the wound moist, don't wrap. Hope she get better soon! You an add a mirror, or stuffed animal for her to sleep with. Even a sock full of rice heated in the microwave for her to snuggle with if you wanted. ☺ That probably isn't necessary, but you could if you wanted to. Good job taking care of her!

Awesome. How warm is the house? Since she is inside, she probably won't need a heater, but it is a nice touch for her when she was coming out of shock.

Good to rinse it with saline, add Neosporin, and keep the wound moist, don't wrap. Hope she get better soon! You an add a mirror, or stuffed animal for her to sleep with. Even a sock full of rice heated in the microwave for her to snuggle with if you wanted. ☺ That probably isn't necessary, but you could if you wanted to. Good job taking care of her!
We had it set at 68 in the house but since we brought her in I bumped it up to 72, the bathroom tends to be more cool so I set the heater in there for extra comfort but have been making sure that it’s not too hot for her. She has a tote with bedding, food, and water that I cut the side out of that way she had room to roam around. With the bath tub Ive been filling it up with Luke warm water for her to swim in periodically throughout the day and clean it out after every swim. Since her last swim and drying her off you can barely see the puncture wounds on her neck should I pluck the feathers away? She started quacking so I grabbed some updated pictures.

Attachments

• B294F5D4-F6B1-4A68-8C55-1BEB622415B1.jpeg
    B294F5D4-F6B1-4A68-8C55-1BEB622415B1.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 6A3859D4-CF12-4CD9-931B-48E9E907667A.jpeg
    6A3859D4-CF12-4CD9-931B-48E9E907667A.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 8
:DHi welcome to byc you’ve done a great job so far the only thing is maybe switch her to a old towel or something similar to stop anything getting into the wound great to hear you will be getting her some friends it is amazing what they can come back from

:DHi welcome to byc you’ve done a great job so far the only thing is maybe switch her to a old towel or something similar to stop anything getting into the wound great to hear you will be getting her some friends it is amazing what they can come back from
I can definitely do that! I went in to check on her one last time before trying to get some rest myself and she has laid another egg!!

It appears you have already received some good advice regarding caring for the wound. I would continue to apply either an antibacterial ointment or a poultry spray to the wounds as needed to achieve a moist environment on the wound surface. If feathers are surrounding the wound thickly, you may pluck, or trim them to lessen the chance of irritation done by the feather. Keeping her on towels instead of shavings would be better to prevent shavings from getting on the wound as well.

That’s what I was going to add clip the feathers away from the wounds and get her on towels to keep bedding out of the wounds. It’s amazing how resilient these birds are so keeping infection away and some good TLC an she should heal well. Also address how the Fox got to her because once they know where their prey are they return. You’ve done a great job so far! She looks alert and eating an drinking and laying are all great signs.

@Miss Lydia @KaleIAm
Rinse the wound with a saline, Clorhexadine, diluted iodine or other sterile solution. Soapy warm water works to. Rinse it really good to keep it clean from the fox bite. Apply Neosporin or another Antibacterial ointment and don't wrap. Make are the wound stays moist with Antibacterial ointment. Keep her in a stress free place, it great that she is inside. Maybe try to wet down her feed, that may make it easier to get down. Add electrolytes to her water of you have them available.
You are doing a great job caring for her so far! You will be amazed at what poultry can bounce back from, they are very resilient. I bet with proper care she will be just fine! Make sure she has a dish of water deep enough to dip her full head in at all times, that is very important. Hope she continues to get better! Avery
Thanks for the tag, @Weeg

Miraculously, I have never had a predator attack. So I can't give examples of what I have done, what worked, or what our vet told me to do.

I'm very sorry to hear about the attack, and I hope your duck is feeling better soon. That must have been very upsetting.

During her morning swim I removed the bedding and added her a towel, and after her swim I added some spray and neosporin to her wounds. She’s began talking more to me when I go in which makes me happy to see her acting more like herself. Once it dries up outside I’m going try and find where the fox was able to get in. We are setting traps in hopes to catch it and turn it over to animal control because my neighbors have 2 goats and definitely don’t want them going through any of this. Thank you all for the support and advice 🥰

Attachments

• 6F3CF862-D3CF-49F3-9CA3-BF75FD6AA006.jpeg
    6F3CF862-D3CF-49F3-9CA3-BF75FD6AA006.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom