Fox Attack! Hen in critical condition!

Haleybug7

Chirping
Feb 21, 2017
4 days ago we had a fox attack, it killed 2 chickens, nearly blinded another, and one is in critical condition. It seems only her head was hurt, no body injuries. Both eyes are swollen shut (I checked, both are still intact but both pupils were dilated), and she can't seem to close her mouth. I'm not even sure if she's still "in there." I cleaned up her face and put neosporin on her. I've been using a syringe with no needle to give her water with vitamin/electrolyte mix in it and have been trying to give her some wet crumbles but I don't think she's getting much. I know I should probably put her down but I would hate to do that if there's a chance she might recover. Could I give her milk/almond milk to help her get more calories? I don't have a tube for tube feeding, but she does swallow a little when I put the water down her throat. The first few days she was standing up but now she is not.

Also, for the first 2 days she was making rattling noises when breathing but the past 2 her breathing has been quieter, not sure if that's good or bad.

I would learn to tube feed for a few days until her eye swelling goes down or when you can tell how she is going to be. You could get some aquarium air tubing—about a 10 inch length from WalMart or a pet store, and melt one end slightly with a lighter, so it is not sharp. That will connect to 35 ml syringe from a feed store, and you can give some KayTee baby bird feed. It works well for liquids, but a larger tube would be easier to feed something like finely ground chicken feed. It is quick and easy to tune feed once you learn where to put the tube. Here is some info on tube feeding:

Mmmmm this is really bad.
By “‘not in there’” you mean you don’t know if she’s still alive or not?
I’ve dealt with dead chickens before, sadly, and if they are... dead... their body completely stiffens and their combs and wattles and just their general face is pale, all the color drained.

Could you give us some pictures? Then we would be able to see the damage.

I would not use dairy on her, since chickens do not digest it well. Wet chicken feed made very watery, and some egg mixed in are very good to feed.

Greetings Haleybug7,

Your poor little hen, I'm sorry to hear that happened to her. And I'm sorry for your losses.

Hopefully you have her isolated in a hospital crate, box or tub. Put some paper or bedding down for easy clean up. It should be in a place where it is 75-80 degrees F, and out of drafts, and quiet.

Because chickens are prey animals, it is common for them to withdraw in fear, keep their eyes closed, and not eat or drink. But, this in not good, they need nourishment and hydration, or they will quickly fall into frailty, then death.

The gurgling sounds are concerning. Perhaps you can check her once more to make sure she doesn't have any puncture wounds of her air sacs. Gently check under the wings, the chest area, lower neck, the lungs on her back, and around her thighs.

Respiratory system.jpg

After four days, if you find a wound, controlling infection will be important. If you find a puntured air sac, do keep her quiet. She is probably already healing.

Care for the wounds:
  • Keep the wounds clean with a simple saline solution. Flush the wounds, and pat dry with gauze or clean towel, if they are not deep.

• Apply an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, Vetricyn spray, Manuka honey (medical grade) for deep wounds is excellent in preventing infection.
Supportive care:
Feed her some cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, also some toast with butter is good. Always offer her moist or dry feed daily.

She should have soft foods while healing. These foods will also stimulate appetite.

If you have some poultry vitamins, give her a dose. Follow the product instructions.

Clean fresh water daily. However, I would also provide some electrolytes for shock.

If the hen is not eating or drinking at all:
You will have to feed the hen manually, in lue of tube feeding, you can feed her with a 10 mL, syringe. Feed just as you have been doing with the water.

Set up a feeding schedule, to make sure the chicken gets adequate nourishment and hydration. A liquid meal replacement will feed and hydrate the chicken daily.

The amount needed to sustain life is 40-50 mL, a day, of liquid bird meal replacement, (I use Hemp Protein powder). The chicken should be fed 8 to 10 mL every 2 to 3 hours.

You can purchase a bird meal replacement at the pet store or online. Or, you can make your own, by pulverizing some chicken feed in a spice/coffee mill, then sifting it first in a larger screen strainer, next a small screen strainer. Another method is putting the feed in a blender with water and blending it on high till smooth. You should still strain it, so it doesn't plug the syringe.

You can add a vitamin supplement, some honey (to get her blood sugars up), and some melted coconut oil to increase the caloric value and nourish her.

Purified water (Not Distilled) is best for mixing the liquid meals. Illness usually causes stress on the liver and kidneys, and purified water will ensure that no further stress is put on these vital organs.

Other things to do:

Talk to your hen, it will be comforting for her to hear your soft voice daily. Chamomile tea is also good for hens that have experienced terrible fright. Hopefully, you have secured the coop and run so that the chickens will be safe.
hide.gif

Even though her eyes are closed, she is conscious, she knows you are there. But, she is traumatized. Some chickens take these frightening experiences, very hard.
Once she is nourished and feeling better, she will open her eyes, then start to make vocalizations to you. So be patient with her, this is going to take some time. How much time? It could be a few weeks till she recovers.

Keep us updated on the progress of your hen.
These are my thoughts...I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you and your little hen.
smile.png

Thank you for all the replies! I think I'm going to try tube feeding her, however I won't be able to until tomorrow so in the mean time I'm going to keep trying to give her wet crumbles and vitamin/electrolyte water. I also got some applesauce for her because I read it's okay for them to eat.

She is definitely alive and breathing and occasionally shifting positions. I meant not "in there" like maybe she has brain damage? I'm not sure if that's possible since she's lived for so many days but I read on a similar post that it could be.

Back
Top Bottom