Fox Attack- need help for my surviving hen

mebwaits

Hatching
Sep 8, 2021
My flock was attacked last week by fox. All were taken except 2 that got away. The one has been limping for about a week, and is definitely traumatized. I've been trying to hand feed her, she is just now starting to eat a little, but still won't put any weight on her right leg. Doesn't seem broken, or cut. Not sure if her injury is internal ? What do I do? I don't have any local vet that will see her. She has been this way since Wednesday 9/1

You can also give baby aspirin. I’ve given my hens half a baby aspirin (40mg worth) after fox attacks or from injuries. I’d also suggest giving them a clock that ticks, or playing the noise of a ticking clock. This has helped me with chickens who were in shock and needed to relax. It’s soothing and lowers blood pressure.

I am sorry about the attack and your losses.

I had one hen who survived a mink attack that took her three other coop mates. The trauma left her pretty spooked for quite some time. But, like your girl, she survived.

The same girl started limping earlier this year, and I am So Lucky to have a vet who likes chickens. She checked over Honey, and gave her meds. But, she said, chicken's legs often take a very long time to heal, and some never do heal properly. Honey's injury was this spring, and she still walks with a limp.

I hope your girl is able to fully use her leg again. If not, she may still do okay. I have a Cochin Bantam hen whose leg had a stricture, underwent surgery, seemed okay and has now lost all the feathers on that leg as well as some foot movement. She hops as fast as anyone else with two good legs can run.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Back
Top Bottom