Fox attack: warning pics

Moolinda

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2017
Hi all!

Our girls just got attacked by a fox. This girl alerted us to what was going on and managed to escape. She has this on her bottom I’m not sure if that’s a wound or just normally they’re under the feathers. Does anyone know? I don’t see any other wounds gonna let her rest for now in isolation for now. We lost her sisters but she saved 5 others with her squaks.
IMG_7034.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7035.jpeg
    IMG_7035.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7037.jpeg
    IMG_7037.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 16
So sorry about the attack! Your girl is a very brave girl, and now a hero!

The thing above her tail is an oil gland. It's where a chicken will rub their beak to get oil during preening and will preen it into all their feathers. I know, it's a strange thing which even I was concerned about when I first saw one.

I would carefully examine each chicken, including her, for any possible injuries as a safe guard. (I do this even whenever I get an attack, even if everyone looks fine.) Anything from a plucked feather to a bite mark should be examined, even if it's for note keeping of who's worst traumatized.

So sorry about the attack! Your girl is a very brave girl, and now a hero!

The thing above her tail is an oil gland. It's where a chicken will rub their beak to get oil during preening and will preen it into all their feathers. I know, it's a strange thing which even I was concerned about when I first saw one.

I would carefully examine each chicken, including her, for any possible injuries as a safe guard. (I do this even whenever I get an attack, even if everyone looks fine.) Anything from a plucked feather to a bite mark should be examined, even if it's for note keeping of who's worst traumatized.
Thank you! That is such a relief to hear. She has some feathers missing too but no other external issues and she’s resting in isolation. We’re not out of the woods but it’s good to know that supposed to be there! The fox def got one but we actually found her other sister out in the yard who had escaped and got to higher ground. Going to be a long couple of days as we monitor her 😥

Back
Top Bottom