Fox attack!

Well Seasoned

Songster
Jun 18, 2018
White Mountain National Forest N.H.
We had 16 chickens from chicks this past spring. One unsuccessful attack from a fox during the summer. Another attack, guessing a hawk or an eagle due to the lack of evidence of an attack anywhere. Another failed fox attack, where the chicken disappeared into hiding in the woods for 4 hours, the rooster died of natural causes a few weeks ago, then this evening a successful fox attack, in which I chased the fox, chicken in mouth through the thick woods on the property. It made it about 75 yards when it decided to let go or it'll get an azz kickin! Fox are like dogs usually causing death by puncture wounds to critical areas or the mouth will compress the chicken to death, or the most common the death shake, breaking the chicken's neck. This fox had no time for the last one. It let her go and I arrived seconds later, the pullets eyes closed when I arrived. So sad. I brought it out of the woods and taught my son how to process it. It will be rotisserie tomorrow. This particular fox has been a thorn in our sides lately. We tend to allow supervised free range due to the high amount of predators, especially this fox lately. Traps going out tomorrow.

Where it began...... then another 75 yard trail

20181108_182533.jpg

Last edited:
We had 16 chickens from chicks this past spring. One unsuccessful attack from a fox during the summer. Another attack, guessing a hawk or an eagle due to the lack of evidence of an attack anywhere. Another failed fox attack, where the chicken disappeared into hiding in the woods for 4 hours, the rooster died of natural causes a few weeks ago, then this evening a successful fox attack, in which I chased the fox, chicken in mouth through the thick woods on the property. It made it about 75 yards when it decided to let go or it'll get an azz kickin! Fox are like dogs usually causing death by puncture wounds to critical areas or the mouth will compress the chicken to death, or the most common the death shake, breaking the chicken's neck. This fox had no time for the last one. It let her go and I arrived seconds later, the pullets eyes closed when I arrived. So sad. I brought it out of the woods and taught my son how to process it. It will be rotisserie tomorrow. This particular fox has been a thorn in our sides lately. We tend to allow supervised free range due to the high amount of predators, especially this fox lately. Traps going out tomorrow.

Where it began...... then another 75 yard trail

View attachment 1584928
Again so very sorry for your loss
We have had many similar things happen to our birds

Back
Top Bottom