chickenchick89

Hatching
Apr 26, 2020
This morning my chickens were attacked by a fox. I was in my office room, which overlooks the coop and where the chickens walk around during the day, when all of a sudden I hear them going crazy only to find that when I looked out the window I saw a fox leaping mid-air after my chickens. I ran outside as quickly as I could, and was able to find 5 out of 6 chickens (they were scattered). I was not able to find the 6th chicken, who also happens to be the alpha chicken. As I was searching for her I came across the fox again (40 feet away) who was seemingly lying in wait for me to go back inside. I chased him off, but I was not able to find any evidence of a dead chicken where he was. My question is, is my chicken possibly alive and just hiding somewhere? Or should I just lose hope?

yes it's possible she will come back, but more certain is that the fox will be back, and will probably keep coming until it has all your chickens or it's killed. But I notice that you asked about a month ago, and sadly didn't get a reply till now, so presumably you know by now.
And welcome to BYC @chickenchick89 :frow I'm sorry you didn't get a reply sooner. Sometimes the site is so busy that new posts get pushed down the new pages really fast.

yes it's possible she will come back, but more certain is that the fox will be back, and will probably keep coming until it has all your chickens or it's killed. But I notice that you asked about a month ago, and sadly didn't get a reply till now, so presumably you know by now.
And welcome to BYC @chickenchick89 :frow I'm sorry you didn't get a reply sooner. Sometimes the site is so busy that new posts get pushed down the new pages really fast.

Thank you for your reply!! I actually just posted it this morning around 10, so you were very prompt 😊 I am currently outside with the other 5 chickens hoping that if she is still alive she will hear them and want to come out to them. I do have plans for getting rid of the fox, because I agree with you I don’t think that will be the last time I will see him. The other thing is that he wasn’t that scared of me, he would stay 30-40 feet in front of me just casually jogging along until he finally“took off”. But I don’t think he would have left the area without his kill if he got her (that’s also my hopeful side speaking too 😊).

:welcome :frow I have had birds killed by fox. I eliminated them. One I caught in leg traps using one of the birds it killed as bait and the other I caught in a live trap by baiting it letting it take the bait for a few days before I set the traps. I have seen more fox since but as long as they don't bother my birds I don't bother them. Here they mostly come out at night except in the spring and early summer when they have their kits. Your bird may come back and may not. The last bird I had taken by a fox I never found. I did find some feathers but not her or her body. Good luck...

:welcome :frow I have had birds killed by fox. I eliminated them. One I caught in leg traps using one of the birds it killed as bait and the other I caught in a live trap by baiting it letting it take the bait for a few days before I set the traps. I have seen more fox since but as long as they don't bother my birds I don't bother them. Here they mostly come out at night except in the spring and early summer when they have their kits. Your bird may come back and may not. The last bird I had taken by a fox I never found. I did find some feathers but not her or her body. Good luck...

that’s a good idea about letting them take the bait a couple times before setting the trap, thank you so much for your input! I wasn’t able to find a single feather or her body, but who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️ Thank you again for your help!!

DSCF0010 02.jpg
DSCF0012 22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom