Fox attacked by Chicken - do I crate her, or put her out?

Your title said the fox was attacked by your chicken :lol:
Good thing you were there to help her.
Yeah, I'd leave the wounds open to the air; they should heal better. Fortunately for her & you, chickens heal up pretty quickly.
I grew up in PG County, btw.
No offense kwhites - PG County has chickens???? I'm southern MD - THANK YOU SO MUCH! THANK YOU ALL!!

Cotton Thread. One site suggested that or silk. After my DH did "surgery" we dabbed iodine. I don't think the cotton thread worked. Only one wound is still stitched.
Yea, I wouldn’t try that again. Cotton will harbor a lot of bacteria, honestly I would remove the last stitch before you have problems with abscesses or festering.

For the future (hopefully you don’t need this!) unflavored floss can be used in a pinch for sutures. 9 times out of 10 though, you’re going to want to leave bite wounds open.
Chickens have remarkable skin regeneration as is, and the wounds are just too dirty.

We wash wounds out with vecterin spray and reapply a few time a day. We've also had large open wounds that we leave open and keep sprayed. Our last one was a hen's back ripped by a rooster spur.

It took 3 weeks to totally heal.

We kept her in a cage of her own where she could be quiet and left alone. No peck is a must if you put her back with others.

We use wabbitat cages from orscheln. They have trays and wire bottom so they aren't in their own messes.

Last week I got in the middle of a dog fight(german shepherds) and I have several punctures. There is no way I would have avoided infection without antibiotics.

I actually used vetercyn spray on my wounds, that stuff works well. I think colloidal silver is another good anti bacterial thing to use.

One suggestion that you might consider depending on where you live and such is flies. I live in the deep south and any wounds tend to bring the flies. I usually treat with vetrycin and then put a small amount of SWAT to keep the flies out. I will then sometimes give some Apple cider vinegar (as an antibiotic) instead of any big antibiotics. Your girl looks pretty good for taking on a fox. I separate mine for a day or two and then if all looks good and she is not getting picked on, I let her back in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom