Fox attacked by Chicken - do I crate her, or put her out?

She actually doesn’t look too bad, all things considered.
What did you use to suture her wounds? I would be concerned that you’ve closed in infection, generally with dirty bite wounds it’s best to let them heal from the inside out. Have you been keeping up with the cleaning once or twice daily?

You are in the early stages still and the possibility of this turning into a nasty infection is very high. I would look into sugar wrapping, or applying medical grade honey to keep the wound moist and clean.
Do you have a vet that will see her if you need antibiotics in the future?
Was just about to tag you! I still think of that crazy thread with Hot wing and the sugar pack and medical honey.

I'm lost on the sugar pack and medical honey :( . Went to tractor supply and got Microcyn (removed the stitches) and added Blu Kote. We will see. We let her out with the other chickens - WON'T DO THAT AGAIN, they pecked at her and they NEVER do that. FYI, if you need a kennel/cage - we were able to get a Med size dog kennel with a door for $30 @ tractor supply!!!! We are keeping her on our deck - so she is still outside - as the humidity is attracting the flies around the coop and pen area.
I'm VERY grateful for everyone's help!!!!

@honanbm I love that thread, such a happy ending too. :love
I'm lost on the sugar pack and medical honey :( . Went to tractor supply and got Microcyn (removed the stitches) and added Blu Kote. We will see. We let her out with the other chickens - WON'T DO THAT AGAIN, they pecked at her and they NEVER do that. FYI, if you need a kennel/cage - we were able to get a Med size dog kennel with a door for $30 @ tractor supply!!!! We are keeping her on our deck - so she is still outside - as the humidity is attracting the flies around the coop and pen area.
I'm VERY grateful for everyone's help!!!!
Sugar wrapping is as simple as flushing with saline, packing sugar on the open wounds, and wrapping it up with or without some ointment on the bandage. Medical honey or honey gel can be found at pretty much any pharmacy, but some people have used local raw honey from the pantry with success.

It’s incredibly useful for large open areas where skin doesn’t meet, so you might not need it if she doesn’t have large chunks missing. Not as applicable for puncture wounds. You would definitely need to keep her inside if you do this as sugar attracts bugs, but personally I’d be keeping her inside anyway.
Best of luck! We love updates. :D

My chicken had similar marks on her throat from a kayote and she is fine. I just put her in a box on my porch and then put her and her box in the coop after a few days.

We are using this spray and the Blue Kote, she seems to be healing. We will let her out with her sisters for a little bit - UNTIL this morning. Even her sister is pecking at her. What does that mean? Pain must be setting in, she definitely does not like it when it's "clean and smell" time.

Back
Top Bottom