Fox attacked chicken

I can apply Vaseline on her wound and wrap it up with a bandage if it’s okay? Unless it needs air?

Also I did give her scrambled egg which she’s eaten nicely , tried giving her wet cat food which she didn’t have a lot and isn’t really eating her regular mix

I haven’t dealt with fox injury, but years back we rescued a hen who had been in a severe dog attack and Vetericyn worked very well for her for wound treatment. But that is my own experience. At one point she had Chlorohexidine (if I spelled that right) wipes as it began to close up. I wish your little hen all the best. Keep us update please

I can apply Vaseline on her wound and wrap it up with a bandage if it’s okay? Unless it needs air?

Also I did give her scrambled egg which she’s eaten nicely , tried giving her wet cat food which she didn’t have a lot and isn’t really eating her regular mix
No bandage. Air healing is recommended.

I think it should be left open to breath, a bandage can trap bacteria in. Maybe clean it up again and apply Neosporin after it dries. A little nutridrench in her water wouldn't hurt,and possibly put some water in her crumble/pellets to make a mash (my ladies think it's a treat)

Under her wing I’m able to see the inside and it’s bleeding. She’s having difficulties standing.

I wasn’t sure on what to apply on her wound so I took out my chicken aid kit and used hibiscrub skin wash to disinfect the area and battle Hayward & gentian violet (purple spray) I didn’t wrap it up with a bandage

would it be okay to give her some
rooster booster in her food and Harkers coxoid in the water

To clean her can I use hibiscrub skin wash

Also lanacane anti chafing gel

Would this be okay or anything else I should use
What can I feed her during this day
She also can’t walk properly in one leg , it doesn’t seem to be any injuries on the leg
I'm sorry about your hen.

Is she alert and drinking? Able to eat something?

I assume you are in AU? EU? Close?:)

I would continue with the care that you have been giving.
Hibiscrub to clean and I would use the battles spray. If the wound dries too much, then if vaseline is what you have, a thin layer would work (along with the battles), unless you can get some bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment. Some countries, it's almost impossible to get these items.
Don't wrap or cover the wound unless she starts picking at it, then you may need to put a saddle on or cover with a toddlers t-shirt.

I would not give the Harker's Coxoid, it's Amprolium and used to treat Coccidiosis.
I would not use the Lanacane (benzocaine). It's been debated whether products that end in "caine" are toxic to chickens, so it's best just to avoid it unless you do some research and determine the product is safe.

What can you feed. If she's able to eat on her own, then her normal feed would be very good. You can add tidbits of egg, fish, meat for extra protein. Sometimes injured or sick birds go off their feed, so you can try offering it as a wet mash. Other enticements that some have found is bits of soft fruit, melon, tomato, etc. Bottom line is, if she'll eat her normal food GREAT! If she's wanting to be picky and she'll eat something, well and good. As she improves, she'll start eating her normal feed.

As for her not walking, she's been injured under the wing and on the back. She may have suffered temporary or permanent damage. Time will tell on that one. As she progresses and heals this may improve, but sometimes it doesn't.
Giving the vitamins is good. I'd make sure they contain E, B1 and B2.

Keep us posted.

If the skin has not crusted or hardened, I'd just stitch it shut. A good suturing and twice-daily washing with vinegar, assuming there's no other complications, would likely see her back to normal within a week.

I've stitched many chickens (and other animals) up. Sewing needle and thread will do the trick on a bird. Fishing wire can work in place of thread. Be sure to remove the thread once the wound heals, if you go that route.

I gave her a egg she ate half of it and had her regular mix she also had lots of water which I put salt , sugar and baking soda in.

I continued cleaning her wound with Hibiscrub and then purple spray I will apply a layer of Vaseline when it’s dried maybe after a few hours. I added hot water to pellets which she had a little bit of also , she still struggling to walk properly and even holding it up when she’s still , it’s her right foot. I have allowed her to walk around in the shed with her sister and not keep her in one place as she wanted to come out.

I have order bacitracin and will give her vitamins
I was also thinking of stitching her wound up but I have no idea how to do it or would it be healed up nicely itself?

Hi, sorry about your hen! The advice your getting is good. I would not use anything with pain medication in it. keeping the wound clean and moist should do the trick, I would not let it dry out. I’ve had a similar back injury due to dog attack and she healed up fine. The missing skin grew back over the wound and all her feathers came back after a molt. I’m amazed at how resilient chickens are. Once it starts healing up I wouldnt mess with it too much other than applying neosporin or Vaseline on the open parts. It took almost a month before the wound healed up enough and we could put our hen back with the others.

Back
Top Bottom