FOX Bait?????????? location of trap???

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
In the process of trying to trap a very sly and unafraid fox . It appears to like to " visit" from about 11am-3 PM really. Course the once i saw it i hadd forgotten my gun inside. I have the traps set- i am herarign about bees wax and blood as the best bait for them? I have been using canned food as that is how i caught last years fox .
This one is ALOT bigger adn ALOT more sly apparently. It is driving me nuts as i work all day - then get to go home and sit as sheaprd at night so the chickens can free range.
Any tips on bait or trapping would be great - i have read alot of threads on here and taken tios but the bait used and location of trap is one that i didnt read alot about

I looked out the back door today and saw a fox about 30 ft from the coop...way too close for comfort. We have a trap set for coons etc but what bait do you suggest for a Fox. He was outback having a feast on our Mulberrys that have fallen on the ground. I shut the girls in the coop for the day with a treat, food and water until my hubby gets home. (safe in there because he built it like Fort Knox) lol

Inkheart if the fox is entering the coop you can put the trap in the coop the fox enters directly into the trap. If you use a live trap you can add an extra piece so you can use live bait.

live bait sometimes works. simply put a small cage with his favorite snack inside into a large box trap. some foxs though a very sly, sounds like yours. if you live very near to a water source, try fish. also try road kill. they are very optomistic. i trap fox here in iowa but i use leg traps. i boil my traps then only touch them with cotton work gloves. they can smell the trap and eat the bait and get home safe. but be carful using leg traps because fox are fur bearers so you could get poaching fines for doing this wrong. check with local dnr and teel them your problem. they may even catch him for you. your counties dnr officers number will be in your states hunting regulations handbook commonly found any where you can buy a hunting liscense. good luck!

Thank you for the tips . Yes i live near some ponds etc. I have caught alot of opossum and coons and one skunk but yet to get the fox.

Well, our wonderful fox "friend" was in the yard this evening. We are surrounded by a corn field on 3 sides and he hides in there for awhile and then comes back out looking for food.

Back
Top Bottom