Fox doing a good job for a change.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stonerowfarm, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of a fox with her mouth full of rats. She was trotting down a sidewalk in a very residential area (in a city a couple towns away). She got just past me and then ducked down a driveway and went out towards the woods.

Now, if the foxes around here would only go after the rats and leave the chickens alone, I would be a very happy camper.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Wow - how did you manage to get that photo - shocking to see one out in the day! thanks for sharing.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fabulous photo! Good fox.

4. the funny farm6615

the funny farm6615 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    iowa
    around here that would be a mouthful of my chickens!

5. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    It was the strangest thing. I was driving down the road, saw something trotting on the sidewalk. I initially thought it was a loose dog. I went by it, saw it was a fox, turned around and went back. That pic was taken with a camera phone, through the windshield. I tried to clean it up a bit so you could see the rats a bit clearer.

I think she was out hunting all night and once she had a mouthful, went home to feed her kits.

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's a great shot!!! And such a pretty fox.

When I was a kid I often saw foxes during the day, though never trotting down a sidewalk! -- I didn't think they were nocturnal. Are they?

Who knew?
    Jenny

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    See.. everything has a place in nature..
    We just cant always see it.
    You kill the foxes in your area..soon you may be complaining of a rat infestation... [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh that is a great picture...they really are beautiful. Looks like Mom getting ready to feed some young ones. They are out in the daylight hours for sure...especially near towns and cities and when they have young ones in a den. I passed a coyote not long ago on I-75...he was going North and I was going South about 11 in the morning. LOL

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  9. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Great picture.

10. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    That is a great picture. Now I wish the fox that got my chicken earlier this week would take a lesson from your fox!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by