Fox got my hens.........question...........

I can't shoot something that I have never seen. I am sure a fox is getting our chickens, but I have never seen a fox in the 5 years that we have had the birds. We are losing the chickens in the middle of the day, while we are at home. Can I flush it out (from where ever it is) with some sort of bait? I imagine i have a mother fox with kits.

First, if you go inside, LEAVE THE DOG OUTSIDE. That will help.

Next, SET TRAPS.

Call your State Dept of Agriculture or Game & Fish, or your County Extension Office for assistance and information as needed.

I haven't used a gun in about 20 years and the wait here is about 30 days for a permit due to background checks etc....good news is one hen came home this morning,injured but in good spirits.Got her cleaned up, on Baytril,and in the house. Still missing two,one Buff and one NH red. Buried the other two already. I would have no problem with the SSS rule at all but waiting a month or more for a permit is going to be lousy.

By all means don't let the dog come back into the house with you, I hope he is a big one. They don't call them "sly foxes," for nothing!!

Quote:
Since your in Michigan I'd like to suggest that you could go to michigansportsman.com forums under trapping OR the varmint forum and you could find someone there that could help you. I know for a fact come fall/winter you could get someone to come trap them for you. There are plenty of sportsmen out there that would be willing to help, we are always looking for a new opportunity.

Quote:
Hmmm, been thinking about this......Unless I missed something, you have one hen that came home injured and two you burried, is that right? Did you actually SEE the fox do the deed? Doesn`t even sound like a fox, but more like dogs, or even coyotes. A fox will steal one chicken and eat, then steal another. Dogs, coyotes, and coons will kill for fun and as many as they can catch, not considering coons in this instance. Please confirm.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom