Fox got my hens.........question...........

oldbaymare

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Central Massachusetts
I lost 5 hens tonight to a fox. I wasn't gone 15 minutes in the house, came back out and my dog took off into the pasture and the fox ran off like a bat out of hell. I'm sure that's what killed my two guineas and two hens last week. Same scenario.......go inside for 15 minutes, come back out to dead /missing birds. Last week I was able to save one, but tonight one died in my arms and one about 20 minutes later in the house. I don't own a gun, is there any group in Massachusetts who would come shoot it for me? Two years ago we had a female fox with 11 babies. I didn't think they whelped that many at one time but she crossed our road with them and we counted 11. No shortage of them around here. My birds are not out loose unless I am watching them. They (the fox) must be watching us from the woods, both times my dog came inside with me. *Sigh*.......... Poor sweet hens
sad.png

I'm sorry for your loss
sad.png

I'm in SE Mass. I would be interested as we own a small farm and have seen a fox crossing the road (and don't own any guns). 11 . . . Yikes! My neighbor down the street had her chickens taken out by what she thinks are fisher cats. This is very unnerving as I have about 95 chickens and have been very fortunate. I've also heard coyotes howling out there.

How are your coops/run set up? We have the coop surrounded by a fenced in run. The coop doors are always open . . . up until today, we finally made it so the doors close at night (manually). We didn't want to go this route and have them cooped up until we got up, but thought our luck was going to run out. We don't get up when the sun comes up, so we'll have to see how they do tomorrow morning.

Good luck with finding a solution to the fox issue.

Sorry about your poor birds! Glad you found us. You could try posting in the WHERE AM I WHERE ARE YOU subject line (might raise some local help). You could call your fish and game dept/animal control and tell them that you have a fox that is acting oddly and seemed to come after you (don't mention your poultry). That might get some attention.

Sadly you are not alone. Some fox info. in this recent thread might be of some help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=374299&p=1

Again
, welcome. I'm sure you'll get some better advice, here, soon.

Take care and good luck!

The chickens are in a 10 X 12 horse stall. They have a little "chicken door" that I open in the AM and close in the PM. Thier door opens into a 40 ft run completely enclosed. They are only loose under supervision.That's why I believe we are being watched. They (the fox)got a quick opportunity and took it both times. I feel so bad. The chickens just found all the ripe berries and were having a great time. They love being out. They come sit on our laps and take quick naps........even the rooster.

Quote:
So what happens when the next fox comes around? Hire 24/7 security? Why not, if you're legally able to, purchase a .22 or a small shotgun, learn to use it, and next time get the fox BEFORE it gets your birds. Do you own a shovel? Its the other TOOL you'll need to dig the hole with. Gun does not equal murder and mayhem, its a tool, just like your shovel.

I think that foxes will sit and watch and wait for an opportunity. It sounds like you haven't been around firearms too much so I'd recommend a shotgun over a .22. It shoots a broader pattern and the pellets won't travel as far as a bullet fired from a rifle.

Fwiw I usually tote a .22 with me when I am out with the chickens and letting them out on a supervised free range. Fox will dart out and grab a bird even with people standing around.

Is there any sort of deterrent for a fox? We lost a rooster and 5 hens in a two-day period, in the middle of the day. I called Michigan State University's Poultry lab and they said I was describing the work of a fox, but I never saw a predator-just missing birds and a lot of feathers. I was shocked that *anything* was able to take our large, fierce rooster, but he was the first bird that we lost. I let our birds out to roam in the morning and am fairly certain that we lost our birds by noon each day. Now, I am afraid to let them out of their pen (where I am certain they are safe). How does one trap a fox?

No no, it was Sally Skunk that did the deed, not Ricky Raccoon.

Deterrent for a fox would be a dirt nap.

You could try an electric fence.

Back
Top Bottom