Fox interrupting my walking

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by toletiquesbysam, Aug 10, 2010.

1. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I walk around our country block (4miles) 3-4days a week and the last 2 nights, I've been cut short because of a fox. Last night there were 2 of them! They are scared of me, and I of them, but I see them and turn around and head for home instead of finishing my walk. I worry about my safety, should I just start carrying my mace, or do you think I just ignore them and keep walking they will leave me alone? The night prior the one was in the road looking at something, and last night the 2 of them were in a field and then saw me and crossed over into a corn field. But it was same area as the previous night. I really don't want to change my route, if I go any other way, I have farm dogs to contend with and this route I have been lucky to have nothing like that!

2. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    You are quite safe. Foxes won't attack a human. [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I can't imagine them being dangerous to a human. My understanding of them is that they will continue to avoid you. I've never heard of a fox attacking a human.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Unless it was rabid, they wont hurt you. Sounds like they are trying to avoid you so I would think you are safe.

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    The ones around here stay away from people, but I do remember seeing a video of a fox attacking a man. I don't remember where though.

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

My guess is that they're trying to avoid the farm dogs, too. Country foxes are usually pretty shy of humans, so you should be safe.

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Good to hear, I'll continue walking my route and just be on the watch for them! Thanks!!

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Gee. I'd be delighted if I saw a fox.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as rabies is not a problem in your area, the fox pose no threat. By your description of their behavior, it appears that they are healthy. Continue on with your walks.

10. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I don't know why, but for some reason I thought that this thread was the beginning of something like this-

Fox interrupting my walking by turning into a bar, and telling the bartender...

I think I've been looking at the computer screen too long.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by