Fox issues

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
Any advice on how to deter a fox? I lost 2 birds to a fox recently, 1 chicken and 1 duck. The fox has been coming daily. I originally free ranged the birds since their run hasn’t been built yet, but I know if I free range them I will lose more. I have a pretty large coop with lots of ventilation. I occasionally let them out now under supervision. But since the attack the fox has come back 4 times, the most recent time the birds were outside! And the fox was staring right at them, thank goodness I was there.

If I wanted to put up a Run fast, I'd get a roll of fencing wire, stakes and hot wire. Run a hot wire top and bottom. It would keep the fox out until you get the Run built. After the fox learns that the drive up is closed for business, then you can free-range again starting out with just a few hours before lock up. I have been free-ranging for 20years but I have dogs. Dogs keep daytime predators away.

If I wanted to put up a Run fast, I'd get a roll of fencing wire, stakes and hot wire. Run a hot wire top and bottom. It would keep the fox out until you get the Run built. After the fox learns that the drive up is closed for business, then you can free-range again starting out with just a few hours before lock up. I have been free-ranging for 20years but I have dogs. Dogs keep daytime predators away.
Thanks for the information!

A few months ago we lost two ducks to a fox ripping open the roof of their run.

We put the radio on everyday now and while we let them out to free range while supervised we do let them free range with less close supervision when neighbours are in their gardens or we are in and out of the garden.

We have debated about feeding them in the woods near their den rather than near our garden but I'm worried I'll keep them alive by feeding them, is that terrible?

We put the radio on everyday now and while we let them out to free range while supervised we do let them free range with less close supervision when neighbours are in their gardens or we are in and out of the garden.

We have debated about feeding them in the woods near their den rather than near our garden but I'm worried I'll keep them alive by feeding them, is that terrible?
Near the fox den? If so if your flock is not protected they will most likely get taken by the fox.

I wouldn’t advise this because you are then basically committed to having pets as soon as the food stops they will go for your chickens. They will also become tamer and get closer and nearer the Chicken house

Have you lost any animals from free ranging? From what I've observed generally, most deaths occur inside the coop

I have a family of foxes in the woods next to my house and it's incredibly rare that they manage to catch anything. I even have a bunch of fat lavender orpingtons they can't catch

Back
Top Bottom