Fox just chased my flock across the yard in broad daylight!

I am sure it would shock the chickens also. But all it would take is one shock per chicken and they would know not to touch the fence.

I am sure it would shock the chickens also. But all it would take is one shock per chicken and they would know not to touch the fence.

The netting looks nice and may be a viable way to keep the chickens my wife and I want out of the garden. The price seems reasonable. I may try it without electricity...if that doesn't work, well...power on...

The chickens do get shocked, but they learn very quickly. When I set up and turned on my fence, I stayed out there with them for an hour or two to make sure nobody got stuck. Out of 20 chickens, I only had 1 that panicked badly, and kept trying to run through the fence, get shocked again, try to run through the fence, get shocked etc. I had to scare her away from the fence to end the shocking ordeal! But everyone quickly learned not to touch the fence. After a day, no one gets shocked. But it allows them to free range in relative safety. I say relative as a fence does nothing to protect against hawk and eagles, and I lost a rooster when he flew over the fence to challenge a predator and lost.

I would turn the power on right away. You don't want the chickens getting used to a fence they can touch and reach through to eat the fresh green grass on the other side! Then one day you turn on the power, and that will be a hard lesson! They will be leary of the fence when you set it up, the lesson will be shorter if they find out quickly it is electrified!

A less expensive way may be to get a breed or breeds of chickens that can fly into tress to get away from a fox or other predators. I suggest Light Brown Leghorns.

Keeping chickens out of a garden is a different story. You just need to keep chickens out of a garden when plants are small and tender. After that, chickens do a good job of eating the bugs out of a garden.

A less expensive way may be to get a breed or breeds of chickens that can fly into tress to get away from a fox or other predators. I suggest Light Brown Leghorns.

Keeping chickens out of a garden is a different story. You just need to keep chickens out of a garden when plants are small and tender. After that, chickens do a good job of eating the bugs out of a garden.

Yesterday, I spent many hours doing research on chickens vs. gardens. Many people stated that there chickens destroyed mature vegetable gardens as well. I thought like you, just keep them out when the plants were young....But it appears that many people have had different experiences. I also read that feather footed breeds are less destructive, but others have said that just not true..I read that Buffs Orpingtons are less destructive but others stated they are just as destructive...It is hard to get advice when each situation is unique.

I suppose each chicken is different.

My grandfather always had a big garden and he just kept his chickens in the coop and run until the plants were more developed. Then he allowed the chickens to go into the garden. The chickens really liked tomato bugs. He always kept Rhode Island Reds.

The only thing I can think of is a chicken may start eating the garden if it is not provided any feed. I don't know.

Chickens will do fine in a coop and run. You just have to feed them more. You might also try putting them in a chicken tractor and moving it around so that the chickens can get much of their feed from foraging.

Last edited:
I suppose each chicken is different.

My grandfather always had a big garden and he just kept his chickens in the coop and run until the plants were more developed. Then he allowed the chickens to go into the garden. The chickens really liked tomato bugs. He always kept Rhode Island Reds.

The only thing I can think of is a chicken may start eating the garden if it is not provided any feed. I don't know.

Chicken will do fine in a coop and run. You just have to feed them more. You might also try putting them in a chicken tractor and moving it around so that the chickens can get much of their feed from foraging.

Yah, I have looked at as many options as I can including tractors. Right now, it is up in the air which breed we will get (guinea fowl or buff orpintons) I think I will start with 3 or 4 hens and see how it goes.

I really don't want to keep them in pens all there lives...The netting seems to be an alternative. I would need about a 100'..

The coop is thick hard wire cloth and plywood and is designed really for free range. I could put a enclosure around it but would prefer not to. I do not think predators will be a problem at least during daylight hours. My property has 5' chain link fence around it and we have three dogs..night may be a different story but the hen house should do the trick...We will see

Back
Top Bottom