Fox problem

Well... as mentioned wax actually absorbs and holds scent.. think candles... so I can't see the benefit to waxing a cage trap, and think it would be more likely to work against you.

I disagree. Candles dont readily absorb and hold scent it takes lots of scented oil added to the melted wax to make a scented candle. Candles ive had in my house for years still smell the same as when i bought them. However the wax could cover the metal and oil scents.

I disagree. Candles dont readily absorb and hold scent it takes lots of scented oil added to the melted wax to make a scented candle. Candles ive had in my house for years still smell the same as when i bought them. However the wax could cover the metal and oil scents.
The wax smells the same to you. A canine has a far better nose. He’ll be able to smell the wax, and all kind of other smells that were in your house.

None of that makes a difference anyway when the animal can see the trap. You guys are trying to say the smell of metal and oil is going to alert a fox more than him staring at a cage sitting in the woods? I don’t think so. Even if it’s covered up. Do you realize how much human scent you’re laying down while you build a bunker for the fox to get caught in?

Hey, been working for me. To each their own I guess friend.

Sure, go nuts if you think it helps, I was just sitting here trying to reason through it in mind, and thought you might have just been carrying the waxing prep over from coil and long spring trap to cage traps because of a misunderstanding, or a misunderstanding of someone else who taught you, or something else.

Well you're probably right about candles and the amount of scent, I've never made candles.

Trapping lures are incredibly strong, so we typically try to be very careful about touching the stink and getting it on waxed traps, because it does get absorbed. But when I talk about this it's not with cage style traps, which as I mentioned are not generally waxed as far as I've ever heard....

Maybe I'll make a post on a trapping forum I'm a member of and see what the folks who do ADC trap work with cages, and those in areas that require cage style traps have to say.

But anyway the typical reason to wax coil spring and long spring traps is they are bedded in the ground and/or placed under water, so the wax helps prolong the life of the trap, particularly the springs, and maybe to a lesser extent if keeps the trap pans and dogs firing well.

I think in the boiling, dying and waxing process of trap prep, the boiling is what really removes the scent.

For the most part the reason to remove the scent from coil or long spring traps is you are bedding them underground, so you don't want the critter knowing there is anything there and stepping around or digging at it out of curiosity, and tripping the trap.

I'm just not connecting the dots when it comes to cage traps and wax... to me it seems like an unnecessary step.

Disguising the trap is a not a bad recommendation, but I'm just not sure the wax adds value.

One thing about disguising your cage traps to think about too is that bobcats in particular, don't like to commit to a dark hole, but they will go in if you leave the front and back unobstructed, where they can see through.

In any case, I'm not trying to be augmentative... trapping can have a steep learning curve... I'd like to say I've made all the mistakes, but I know I have more to make.

I feel like it's worth discussing, and making sure that the reasons behind the methods are understood, before waxing cage style traps becomes one of those things that become adopted into the BYC tribal knowledge of how to deal with fox depredation issues, and then chickens owners are telling other chicken owners that the reason they can't catch that fox that broke their heart, is because they didn't wax the trap.

I keep all my live traps outside, so they smell like outside.
Kept in a building they will smell like what ever else you keep in the building...exhast, oil, laundry soap..Whatever. i have never caught a fox in a live trap.
I have caught quite a few in leg holds and those i wax. I dont get trapping wax, i use parifin.
To our poster,,i wish you luck with your fox. A secure coop and run is your best defense. The hot wire is a good idea but will not work on all preditors.
Hawks fly over it and a weasel goes under unharmed.
If there is a flaw in your setup, the next preditor will find it and show you where you failed.
I have lived this senerio over and over again.
Everything eats chicken!

Sure, go nuts if you think it helps, I was just sitting here trying to reason through it in mind, and thought you might have just been carrying the waxing prep over from coil and long spring trap to cage traps because of a misunderstanding, or a misunderstanding of someone else who taught you, or something else.

Well you're probably right about candles and the amount of scent, I've never made candles.

Trapping lures are incredibly strong, so we typically try to be very careful about touching the stink and getting it on waxed traps, because it does get absorbed. But when I talk about this it's not with cage style traps, which as I mentioned are not generally waxed as far as I've ever heard....

Maybe I'll make a post on a trapping forum I'm a member of and see what the folks who do ADC trap work with cages, and those in areas that require cage style traps have to say.

But anyway the typical reason to wax coil spring and long spring traps is they are bedded in the ground and/or placed under water, so the wax helps prolong the life of the trap, particularly the springs, and maybe to a lesser extent if keeps the trap pans and dogs firing well.

I think in the boiling, dying and waxing process of trap prep, the boiling is what really removes the scent.

For the most part the reason to remove the scent from coil or long spring traps is you are bedding them underground, so you don't want the critter knowing there is anything there and stepping around or digging at it out of curiosity, and tripping the trap.

I'm just not connecting the dots when it comes to cage traps and wax... to me it seems like an unnecessary step.

Disguising the trap is a not a bad recommendation, but I'm just not sure the wax adds value.

One thing about disguising your cage traps to think about too is that bobcats in particular, don't like to commit to a dark hole, but they will go in if you leave the front and back unobstructed, where they can see through.

In any case, I'm not trying to be augmentative... trapping can have a steep learning curve... I'd like to say I've made all the mistakes, but I know I have more to make.

I feel like it's worth discussing, and making sure that the reasons behind the methods are understood, before waxing cage style traps becomes one of those things that become adopted into the BYC tribal knowledge of how to deal with fox depredation issues, and then chickens owners are telling other chicken owners that the reason they can't catch that fox that broke their heart, is because they didn't wax the trap.

I appreciate the non argumenative debate! I think its good for learning when we disect the things we do and the reasons we do them. Im not sayn im about to go buy a tubs worth of wax and i see where your coming from that its not something you want to push on every BYCer when its not widely practiced. I dont think its practical for most people Fowl Guy has the connection and has had success so i agree it was a topic worth exploring. But who cares what i think im jus another member with pred problems that i would like to combat. I agree w 50-45-1 too, anything will take on some smells from where it was stored so storing the cages outdoors away from areas of frequent traffic is probly smartest if you dont have a shop dedicated to the task.

@llombardo my mother in law lost her whole flock of 7 call ducks to alligators

Back
Top Bottom