Fox problems

Chickenlover380

Hatching
Jul 19, 2015
G'day people,I have a problem with foxes killing my chickens so I bought a live fox trap but I don't know how am I gonna humanely kill it yet.

P.S. I do not have a gun and I dont want to buy one so screw that idea.;)

If I do that some day it might come back
1f413.png

Relocation is not a good idea. It is actually cruel to the fox you are moving. You would be moving it to the territory of another fox. It would not be welcomed to the area. In fact, relocation is illegal in many places. Also, if you remove the fox by killing it or relocation it is only a matter of time until another fox claims that area as its territory.

From what I have read, catching a fox is very difficult. You would need to set up the trap, cover it so that it doesn't appear to be a trap, and leave no human scent on it.

The best way to handle predators is to make a safe place for your chickens. Building a coop and pen that is predator proof is the first step. In the predator forum there are great ideas on how to accomplish this.

We have had problems with foxes for the past 2 years. In fact last year I lost 75% of my flock to foxes. This year I built a new coop and pen. I also added electric poultry netting to fence in an area where the girls are safe to roam. I haven't lost any of my new chickens so far this year.

Not that mention, relocation might be illegal where you are, dunno...

Might be a worse fate if a released predator were to meet an unhappy landowner with a shotgun, just sayin.... ;)

Really, the most humane would be shooting it, or euthanasia.... If you have access o that sort of thing; most don't. ...

Carbon monoxide (ie fumescfrom a tailpipe) is sorta humane, in that they don't feel painetc...

Putting the cage in water and weighing down isxan option, although one I personally wouldn't do, its seems cruel.

You could always feed it poison or antifreeze, but that's not really "humane", as they do suffer...

Do you have a friend that can dispatch it for you? Really, shooting is the fastest and least traumatizing.

Edit* just to keep anyone from reaming me for being cruel lol, call animal control and see what they say ;)

Last edited:
Foxes usually have a routine just like we do. They will show up on their rounds at about the same time of day. Figure out their routine and sit out with your chickens at that time. The fox won't come in your yard with a person out there making a bunch of noise. I take my tablet out with me about 6 and sit out under a tree and watch some of my recorded showes on my Directv account. Our fox used to show up around 6. The hens go in for the night around 7:30. Its been a month since we started doing that and haven't lost a chicken since.

Foxes usually have a routine just like we do. They will show up on their rounds at about the same time of day. Figure out their routine and sit out with your chickens at that time. The fox won't come in your yard with a person out there making a bunch of noise. I take my tablet out with me about 6 and sit out under a tree and watch some of my recorded showes on my Directv account. Our fox used to show up around 6. The hens go in for the night around 7:30. Its been a month since we started doing that and haven't lost a chicken since.
I LUV YOUR APPROACH AND TECHNIQUE. Someone opting for the Titanic method just makes me cringe. I also agree with all points in your signature.
goodpost.gif

Thanks for that I will try the the water techniqu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PLEASE try find someone who can shoot and ask them to shoot it after you've trapped it! Drowning is a slow, torturous death. As for CO poisoning, before the days of emission control on cars it may have been effective, but nowadays vehicles emit much lower levels of CO. It's even not cited as an effective method to commit suicide anymore.

Back
Top Bottom