Fox proofing dilemma- please help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DancingWthDucks, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all,

Ive got a bit of a dilemma....

I'm currently being lett a corner of a field, which is about half a mile away from my house and I'm planning on keeping some ducks there. The only problem is that the is a major fox problem in my area and I've been told that they especially like ducks- in fact a friend who lives just a couple of houses away from this scrap of land lost 50 ducks in just one night. The main problem is that the area is backed by an 8 foot wall which although is tall on one side, on the other it is only about 2 foot tall- which obviously is just providing an easy meal for the fox.

The best option at the moment seems to be a walk in run which, I have found at quite a reasonable price on eBay which also comes with an anti digg mesh skirting. My concern is that the fox would still be able to digg in, because I wouldn't be able to check on them anymore often than once a day. Would I have to dig it under or would it be okay to just pegg it down.

Any suggestions would be really appriciated

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'd dig it under about 2'. That's what I did for coyotes in my neck of the woods and haven't had a problem. I had evidence of a couple attempts but they gave up after about 1'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by