Fox took my big brown boy and his mate

littlenell1

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
UK
We have been lucky I guess. Up to now our flock of geese have remained in the paddock overnight, flocking to one corner for night time. No losses despite our neighbours losing chickens in daylight hours. THEN, I go to feed the geese in the morning, putting the grain in the dog kennel run to stop the goats pinching it. As I look round I notice there is only one brown head, and no big brown gander bossing everyone around. Odd, so I look around and to my horror my eyes connect with the most godawful sight ever. My brown boy lies tangled in some branches. Headless and with large chunks of flesh removed from his chest. I start sobbing, and then do a fast head count...as I do I notice the outstretched white body in the mud. His mate. Dead, but untouched, maybe the fox tried to drag her off first, and brown boy went at it...and took the full brunt. Either way I was hysterical by now, and all I could do to go to the house and tell my husband what had happened. Could not believe it...two of our geese in one go. SO MEAN...
hit.gif

I sat up that night, after asking my DH to sort out the spare air rifle, and practising all afternoon. It was raining, cold and a bit creepy to be honest. BUT no way was anything getting my remaining geese. Nothing came. Even when I had left what was left of brown boy out as bait (broke my heart and I never took my eyes off him all night). I could not do another night on guard, so I decided each night I would have to move the geese from the field, into the upper enclosurewhere we keep the overflow ducks/chickens from our main enclosure. Trouble is this involved opening fence panels, trying to screen off routes, and trying not to lose the poultry from the enclosure when their gate was wedged open.
First few times were a nightmare, geese everywhere, some could fly and ended up down the other end of the field. I ended up wrestling some of them, but after an hour they were finally all tucked up inside the fenceline with a bowl of grain as reward. Each day it got easier, and now they take themselves from A to B, I love them. They are such bright creatures.
smile.png

The whole flock has had to rearrange itself, Brown boy was such a great leader for them. He was an amazing gander...so good with the babies we added to the flock, and the newcomers that needed a new home. Even now, the group seem odd without Brown boy coming to the fenceline and telling my dobes off! He would also pinch the goat kids bums to make them leave their food!
We are currently rebuilding a broken shed we picked up, cheap, to house the geese at night. Until we can afford some electric fencing it seems to be the best course of action. Seems MR FOX, or MRS FOX, is quite bold. 13 geese and 2 dobermann's don't put it off coming on our land.
hmm.png

RIP Brown boy and Mrs Brown boy.

So sorry to hear you lost your geese. It's so heart breaking. I recently caught a hawk actually eating one of my young hens alive. I had to put her down. That hawk got 5 so far. I was so upset so I can image how upset you must be. I hope you find what got your geese.

Thanks all. Brown boy and his pals came through a rehoming. They were scaring the mother, as they were starting to react to the young children who were teasing them
roll.png
Brown boy's foot had been stood on as well by a horse the day we picked them up...and his toe was almost severed in two, but the chap had done nothing about it:/

I had to persuade Brown boy to let me bathe and apply blue spray antiseptic, and avoid the very adept beak trying to tweak me! It healed but the bone inside healed funny so he always left a distinct print in the mud. It never stopped him one bit. I have some lovely memories of him, and thankfully took quite a few pics as well. Amazing how they get under your skin isn't it?!

hugs.gif

Sorry for the loss of the pair. How wonderful you helped him heal and gave him a good life with love. He set a good example for the others, hopefully another will step up as a great leader as well.

OH! I'm so sorry! I understand how you feel. When my baby got the owl talons, I felt like it was all my fault. but... you do have to realize... yes it's hard. but during the winter, a meal is hard to find for a lot of predatory animals, and what they did is just the instinct of every living thing. When they're hungry, they gotta eat. and domestic poultry is probably is an easy target. And with every incident like this that happens, just makes us more aware and more ready to protect our flock with more advanced things. It all happens for a reason... so sorry!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom