Fox

janicetroyer

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2020
I've seen a fox hanging around my open pen area where my leghornes free range. Both times I was there to chase it off. I hate to keep them locked up. I read that foxes can dig under a fence or climb a fence or tree. So I doubt I could keep it out. Has anyone trapped a fox? No guns allowed where I live and I couldn't shoot something anyway.

:welcome

Some people have dogs to guard their chickens. Perhaps this is a possibility for you? If so, I'm certain there is plenty of people over here who could give you some suggestions on what dog breed to get.

Welcome!
It's up to you to keep your birds safe! That means a very safe coop, and a safe run, because everyone loves chicken!
The birds are helpless at night, and very vulnerable during the day to predators like foxes.
Many of us have learned the very hard way that we need better predator protection for our flocks. Don't let your dead birds show you how easy it is to fail...
Electric fencing or electric poultry netting, properly installed, can go up in one day, and keep that fox and friends out.
Mary

:welcome :frow A fox killed my special bird during the day. I set some live traps out. First I put bait in the traps and let the fox take the baits. After a few days I then set the traps and caught the fox. If you don't want to eliminate it, try contacting a wildlife rescue in your area. It will hang around lurking looking for an opportunity unless it's eliminated or relocated. Most wildlife rescues have release sites.
DSCF0010 01.jpg
DSCF0012 20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom