1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ladycrotalus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    After hearing my chickens freaking out i ran out to the porch to see a fox staring at them. I wanna put a hot wire around the whole coop. Is there a site that gives detailed instructions and all the items i will need for it? Can i make it with a switch to turn it off when im working in and around the coop?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes you can turn it off and on...just remember to do so.

If you go to building supply store or farm store everything you need will be there all together and there are brochures and etc on the various systems usually. It is really not hard to do. [​IMG]

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    You might check with Tractor Supply. They have all kinds of electrical wire stuff like that.

4. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    will a fox eat a full grown chicken?

5. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You bet they will Red ones are alot worse than grey ones but both a fully capable of killing and eating a full grown chicken of any size.

6. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    hmm, i just saw one earlier today, it was really small, only a little bigger than a cat

7. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes and quick and with sharp teeth. They can take down a full size chicken in seconds with no hesitation. I HATE foxes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Little foxes grow up to make big foxes,and more foxes and more foxes and ,,well,,where theirs little ones its a sure bet that the parents are close by,,secure your coop and keep a close watch on your birds if you free range,and fox can grab a full grown chicken and be on his way before you realize whats happening,,, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by