FOXES EATING CHICKENS!!!!!!!!

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
Geese? Dogs? I have no idea but these stupid foxes are killing my chickens and they killed all my ducks! I can't shoot them because their not near my house and attack during the early morning. I am wondering if there is a guard animal that i can use or something to get the foxes away.

Geese? Dogs? I have no idea but these stupid foxes are killing my chickens and they killed all my ducks! I can't shoot them because their not near my house and attack during the early morning. I am wondering if there is a guard animal that i can use or something to get the foxes away.
How are these foxes getting in? Do you have your coop and run predator-proofed? Any pics of your coop/run so we can see what's up?

We are putting a bottom on it, but its like a triangular prism with no bottom. But the fox doesn't go in the coop he gets them when there coming out in the mourning

We are putting a bottom on it, but its like a triangular prism with no bottom. But the fox doesn't go in the coop he gets them when there coming out in the mourning
Oh! So you allow them to free-range then? Eek! If you have a predator problem, like I do, I will not be able to let my hens free-range. Where I live we have racoon, fox, badger, coyote and worst of all...hawks! They have a large attached run that is built like Fort Knox. I use 1/2" hardware cloth all around, metal roofing over the run, and the hardware cloth goes down and out at an angle a good 12" into the ground so they can't dig in. Just food for thought...sure hope everything is quiet around your place today!

I don't have bobcats but I have the rest and the hauls are annoying. Im thinking about putting the food in a safe place and putting a sheep or a goat in there with them during the warmer months. Other than them eating the chicken food i don't see a problem with it. Good luck
thanks, Dan

No for the hauks. Out of personal experience They don't attack when there is a goat or sheep or anything bigger than them around. Is there a link that might help me train a dog to stay with the chickens and protect them. (Im afraid they would kill the chickens to)

Haven't tried it personally, but llamas are reported to protect chickens and ducks. They will guard sheep really well and other animals. If you're home and just not hearing the foxes sneak in, guinea hens might help. They are very loud when intruders show up. We just live trap the foxes and relocate them a long way from home. It depends on the rules in your area on whether or not you can do this. We also use a game camera to find out what is threatening our ducks, so we know what kind of critter to trap and what's in the area.

Back
Top Bottom