Foxes from HELL

i'm sorry for your chickens.

can you kill the fox? is there rule prohibited to do that in US?

we don't have such rule here for anything that kill my chickens, no predator can leave my coop safe and alive after kill my chicken (except rat
rant.gif
), never.

and i'm laughing hard when you said you want to use land mines, that's real good device to make sure that foxes never put his feet on your ground again.
lau.gif

Electric fence, trap & shoot. Lock them in at dusk and let them out well after daylight. Your local preds now know where the easy pickings are and will return.

I did 6 ft tall 2x4 welded wire fence set in cement. (Soil is very firm here in E Tn so cement only goes 4" deep.) It has 2 ft tall chicken wire all around inside perimeter. I did a 5-mile 4 KV fence charger and installed 4 courses of hot wire, beginning at 8" and ending at 42" height. My coop is entirely inside of this and is on legs due in part to terrain. I close the two guillotine type pop doors at dusk and lock the entrance door in the off chance that 2-legged preds might come calling. No losses yet to coons or anything else. Even snakes and mice cannot breach my coop. Run is oversized at 2000 sq ft and so is not netted overhead. May suffer a loss to hawk or owl some day, but large population of crows hereabouts keeps hawk sightings to a minimum. 5 months no losses.

what if you built your fence higher and
cemented the ground so they cant dig up
under it and get a pellet gun just powerful
enough to kill a small animal that is one of
the thing i did or you came put a live animal trap
just around were they like to go into the coop
and put some fresh meat in there.

jumpy.gif

I vote for CONCRETE around the perimeter....6" inches deep and 1 foot wide. We also did a concrete slab for the foundation of the hen house so nothing can crawl under. I cover the floor with pine shavings and it's easy to clean beside keeping out the critters!

Depending on your soil type:
Permeable sand or loam bury galvanized wire (not poultry wire) 1" by 2" 2 ft widths at a 38 degree angle and again at just below the surface outward from your run or coop
Non permeable clay bury the above at 42 degree angle outward from your run or coop.

Install a 2 joul fence charger hot wire fence (cost averages .31 cents per day) maximum depending on length of fence (less cost per length) using 2 wires on the perimeter at 6 and 12 inch heights plus one wire on top of fence for your run and perimeter of coop(s). Use extension insulators for your hot wire fence. This will give you approx 6 inches extension of your "hot fence" outward from your wire fencing. If you use a large enough fence charger and the appropriate fencing the cost vs concrete per ft expense should be much less expensive and just as effective in predator prevention.

Back
Top Bottom