Foxes neighbor's been feeding

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
We've always had foxes for years, as they make their dens in nearby farm fields. Usually, you catch a mere glimpse as they make their rounds. This year, my nextdoor neighbor decided to start feeding them. There are 3 foxes. I told her she's interfering with their survival instincts & hunting ability. I've got numerous paper plates & piles of fox crap in my yard & at any given moment if you look in my yard you will see a fox trotting around as if he's Lord of the Manor. They walk right up to the chicken pens & sit down! If you chase them, they run, but never far & as soon as you turn around they begin to follow you back, as if it's a fun game. They lay down within 20 feet, watching me pull weeds. I can't free range chickens at all anymore, this whole freaking summer, ticks & crickets got a free pass. Across the street at the horse barn, they're talking about shooting them. As much of a PITA as they are, I'd hate to see them killed. I'd like to try & humanely trap & relocate to a wildlife area. I know they're smart, but has anyone had success with trapping? Any advice?

We've always had foxes for years, as they make their dens in nearby farm fields. Usually, you catch a mere glimpse as they make their rounds. This year, my nextdoor neighbor decided to start feeding them. There are 3 foxes. I told her she's interfering with their survival instincts & hunting ability. I've got numerous paper plates & piles of fox crap in my yard & at any given moment if you look in my yard you will see a fox trotting around as if he's Lord of the Manor. They walk right up to the chicken pens & sit down! If you chase them, they run, but never far & as soon as you turn around they begin to follow you back, as if it's a fun game. They lay down within 20 feet, watching me pull weeds. I can't free range chickens at all anymore, this whole freaking summer, ticks & crickets got a free pass. Across the street at the horse barn, they're talking about shooting them. As much of a PITA as they are, I'd hate to see them killed. I'd like to try & humanely trap & relocate to a wildlife area. I know they're smart, but has anyone had success with trapping? Any advice?
I'm so sorry, that's really annoying. I wish you the best of luck!

Trapping the neighbor or the fox?LLol, I digress...
Big trap and cat food or raw meat.maybe something that squeaks like a toy mouse for cats to really get its attention.
Been looking for a Havaheart Trap...seems they are out of stock everywhere for that particular size. A badly rated brand is on Amazon, no thanks

Check to see if it’s legal to trap and release foxes in your state. You may need to get DNR involved if you want to release it to a wildlife area. Presumably there will already be a fox population there, and this one will be unwelcome by them.

Foxes are very smart. If you trap and release one, you will create a non-trappable fox. Which will then become somebody else’s difficult problem. It may be that any foxes you trap will have to be dispatched. Maybe DNR can advise you on your situation with your neighbor. They’ve probably seen this kind of thing before.

It seems pretty intolerable to me. I can’t imagine what she’s doing is legal. But then again, people are allowed to feed deer and birds, so I don’t know.

Check to see if it’s legal to trap and release foxes in your state. You may need to get DNR involved if you want to release it to a wildlife area. Presumably there will already be a fox population there, and this one will be unwelcome by them.

Foxes are very smart. If you trap and release one, you will create a non-trappable fox. Which will then become somebody else’s difficult problem. It may be that any foxes you trap will have to be dispatched. Maybe DNR can advise you on your situation with your neighbor. They’ve probably seen this kind of thing before.

It seems pretty intolerable to me. I can’t imagine what she’s doing is legal. But then again, people are allowed to feed deer and birds, so I don’t know.
Thank you, I called & was told it's legal to shoot coyotes & foxes but the person I spoke with wasn't the right person. Hope to reach someone today. I don't want to create any more problems than we already have.

Back
Top Bottom