foxes

nevikselrae

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 6, 2008
I have been lucky that the foxes have stayed away, using a radio in the pen. I have been using it on talk radio. Someone is always mad about something and I hope it stills helps
7 days and no slaughter to date.

Anyother Fox deterents are wanted. My barber gives me hair, I spread around the pen. Coyote's dont like it but it doesnt even effect the foxes.

does hair really work? cuz my mom is a hairdresser and she could get me all the hair I wanted.

I am kinda skeptical, tho... I always thought this was an old wive's tale (like putting hair around your deer-edibles in the garden).

We had possums getn into coop killing a chicken a night so I ran hotwire on the outside of the coop. Around the bottom and half way up - incase the possum decided to jump over lower wire. Nail-in insulators are like $3.50, small roll of wire less than $10 and the smaller electric-boxes are in the $20's I think. We have horses so I just tied wire into their fence. I plug it up after all birds are safely locked in coop and unplug it before they go out in a.m. - havent lost not one more bird! One word of advice when you buy a electric box get one that pulses not a constant shock incase something you dont want to die grabs it - constant shock will kill a bird. Pulsing ones give them a chance to let go.

I lock mine up at night. Otherwise foxes will get them (i learned the hard way). I've heard that electric wire is the only other thing to keep them out. Others can tell you how to set it up.

In my experience, the foxes started to come in the fall when the weather got cold and their other game went underground. So be careful, a single fox can kill a LOT of chickens very quickly in one night. A good guard dog will help too.

Back
Top Bottom