Foxes....

conniesue27

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
atwater ohio
We've got a fox den about 100 yards from our hen house, would like to live trap them if possible. Any suggestions on what to bait the trap with? I've read that chicken entrails works good, or live mice. Any ideas out there?

A dead or live sparrow or any bird. Also try mice, like you said, or even a small varmit like a rabbit if possible. They like anything that is smaller than them and that contains protein(meat). Hope this will help.

God Bless!!

What are you planning on doing with them once you catch them?

In most states it is illegal to relocate them off of the property you caught them on.

What are you planning on doing with them once you catch them?

In most states it is illegal to relocate them off of the property you caught them on.

Calling animal control, we have somone in our area that will take care of them once there caught.

Did the trap work? People around here say you can't trap a fox. I just lost at least 2 more hens this morning to a fox that I saw yesterday morning and in trying to take a head count of my chickens it looks like about 15 or 20 are now gone.

Sardines will work as bait. You need to wire the partially opened can far back in the trap. If you just lay open sardines in the trap the fox will slip in and out quickly, probably avoiding the trap trigger. You have a slight chance of trapping like this. I have heard of it working sometimes. I prefer a bullet.

Oh good grief, dig a shallow hole place an open can of sardines in the hole, set your trap with its trip pan above the can of sardines in the hole, weigh down the trap.

That ole fox will go into the trap and work like the dickens to get to those sardines, it will trip the pan.

Back
Top Bottom