Fractured leg? 4 week old chick. Help please

NicJames

Chirping
May 22, 2017
Anchorage, Alaska
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG
Dog got to the baby. She's recovered really well from the shock of it so far but we don't know what to do about the leg. It just hangs there and she can't put weight on it. Do you think it's a broken femur? What can we do? She cries out when we touch that leg but is otherwise doing pretty good.

IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG
Well we were right. It was a femur fracture. We ended up taking her to the emergency vet. She seemed like she was in pain and I just couldn't take it watching the poor thing suffer. I love this baby, she's definitely my favorite.

Anyway they did X-rays and we decided to splint it. They gave us a weeks worth of meds for pain and inflammation. We've got her resting in a sling. Just have to wait it out to see if the leg will heal. Say a pray for my sweet little Blue. She's such a good girl.

View attachment 1020199 View attachment 1020200
Me too! Actually not a femur fracture but the tibia. She's doing ok so far. Just trying to keep her off the leg is a challenge.
Glad it wasn't a femur fracture, because those are almost impossible to treat. I've had a couple of tibia fractures, and while it can be hard to keep them still, they do heal nicely. Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom