Fragile eggs

Chicka doo

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2020
We've got two hens (three year old). Recently they have slowed laying. We used to get two a day but it's become more intermittent. One them is laying eggs that are cracked or so fragile they break whenever you pick them up. Is there any kind of supplement I can give them to help this issue? I feed them high grade feed and my wife gives them vegetable and fruit nearly every day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You don't mention what calcium source, if any, you have available. Layer feed (you don't specify what your feed is) is not always enough. The extra treats may further dilute down the calcium they're taking in.

If you're allergic to shellfish or mussels (I am) I recommend chick elixir. Otherwise oyster shell is pretty good. The elixir can be found at chewy and a lot of feed stores. I got it because it was safe for chicks and had oregano oil and calcium and extra electrolytes. Safe for the adults too. I mentioned in a different thread that I had one bantam hen that reached point of lay, quit... then one egg. I switched everyone to the elixir and she's now laid four. I don't know if it's related but if you have around $20 it's 32oz and 1 capful per gallon it might not hurt. I don't have many chickens currently though so my bantams and chicks take about 5 days to go through a gallon collectively.

Back
Top Bottom